Such a thing as 100% Perfect playback ? (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    5 dropped frames per hour (180,000 frames) is fine, and wouldn't be noticeable.

A single dropped frame in 1 000 000 frames can be noticed - it is all about the timing when the frame gets dropped :)

Do you sellotape your eyelids open? because I'm sure the dropped frames due to blinking would far exceed that o_O

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Do you sellotape your eyelids open? because I'm sure the dropped frames due to blinking would far exceed that o_O

Only on Sundays :)

It doesn't matter how many frames actually are dropped. If you just happen to have eyes open and the content is suitable for noticing the dropped frame (panning scene or anything similar) you can notice the dropped frame. Of course 1 dropped frame in 1 000 000 frames is less likely to be spotted than 1000 dropped frames in 1 000 000 since the odds for spotting is already 1000 bigger. But it is also possible that 1 dropped frame in 1 000 000 playback case the one frame drop is noticed and in 1000 dropped frames in 1 000 000 will go unnoticed because all of those frames were either dropped when your eyes were closed or the scene itself were something where it is almost impossible to spot the dropped frame (almost static images).

If you aim for perfect quality then the frames dropped counter should be always zero.

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Exactly for some reason I always manage not to blink or look away when the frame is dropped lol

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    A few comments:

If you are using MP Audio Renderer for TV (which isn't always recommended, because it can sometimes make things worse rather than better), you should update TsReader.ax to the latest version from here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/experimental-tsreader-development.102693/#post-811296

In LAV Video Decoder settings, tick the 'Aggressive Deinterlacing' box - this will improve things for HD channels that use mixed frame/field (25p/50i) encoding e.g. UK Freeview HD.

Using CUDA increases the load on the GPU (and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in de-interlacing quality between CUDA and DXVA2 on my 37" TV).

....and 6 dropped frames per hour isn't worth worrying about.....I've had hardware STBs/PVRs that are worse than that.

Tony

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Using CUDA increases the load on the GPU (and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in de-interlacing quality between CUDA and DXVA2 on my 37" TV).

CUDA uses exactly the same deinterlace algorithms as DXVA2 - so you are correct, there is no difference to be spotted. CODA has only a bit better compatibility for some broken streams (at least it has had in the past) and it gives better user experience with the Blu-ray (DXVA2 native in LAV will drop frames on clip changes in some cases).

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    A few comments:

If you are using MP Audio Renderer for TV (which isn't always recommended, because it can sometimes make things worse rather than better), you should update TsReader.ax to the latest version from here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/experimental-tsreader-development.102693/#post-811296

In LAV Video Decoder settings, tick the 'Aggressive Deinterlacing' box - this will improve things for HD channels that use mixed frame/field (25p/50i) encoding e.g. UK Freeview HD.

....and 6 dropped frames per hour isn't worth worrying about.....I've had hardware STBs/PVRs that are worse than that.

Tony

So it is best to use DirectSound as the audio renderer for TV ?

The only problem I have found with this is that to get the correct audio you need to use bitstreaming in LAV, Which then does not work with the internal blu ray playback ? because LAV and Mediaportal Audio Renderer clash.

I wrote a utility to turn bitstreaming of when a disc was inserted and back on when it's ejected (called from AnyDVD) is this the best way round this ?

I wil try the aggressive Deinterlacing also.

Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1359626987][/DOUBLEPOST]
    A few comments:

Ok getting a bit confused now the directshowhelper replacement someone mentioned earlier does the TSReader.AX update need to be used with that ? or are they seperate projects ?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The experimental TsReader.ax and dshowhelper projects are separate/unrelated.

The reason for suggesting the TsReader update is because there is an issue in the standard version which can result in an incorrect FPS value being parsed out of the stream occasionally (usually it reports 24 fps instead of 25 fps). This can cause MPAR to create stutter/dropped frames etc.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom