sudden stuttering (1 Viewer)

jdivic

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Croatia
Yes I have PATA disk. I couldn't find information about current status in device management, but I checked with Everest utility and it says that disk is running under UDMA5. But report I got from Windows defragmenting tool looks very strange to me... it shows much more files and directories on partition then they really are... looking from explorer everything seems normal... strange, because it looks that no one expirienced problem like this...

jdivic

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Croatia
well, last update about this... I formated partition where recordings were stored, and now everything is fine... I'm still confused about this, but now it's working so it isn't important any more... thanks

wierdnatox

Portal Member
January 8, 2005
I've just had the exact same problem which I originally thought was down to bad fragmentation. In the end I reformatted the disk (which took nearly 12 hrs).

Scoop's post mentioned that Windows can change the mode to PIO only and this is what had happened to me. More information can be found in the link below, but basically if you have a system that Suspends and Resumes alot this could happen.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

A useful test for me was to play a dvr-ms file on the bad drive through Windows Media Player. This gave bad stuttering. When I copied the file to a different drive the stuttering stopped. Interestingly an mpg file played ok.

Finally, I've been having masses of problems with MediaPortal lately and for me RC2 was just terrible. I'd really given up hope of it ever getting better. Since changing the drive back to DMA mode all of my problems appear to have gone away, so a big thanks to all the Devs and sorry for doubting you all! :oops:

jdivic

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Croatia
thanks for advice, but I triplechecked fact that disk was in DMA mode. I'm not shure what was the problem, but I think there are two possibilities: fragmentation or problem with windows pagefile. Now I have no problems since I formated partition and placed windows pagefile on it.

wierdnatox

Portal Member
January 8, 2005
Just as a final word of warning, there are two fields in Windows for DMA access. One says what you want it to be and should be "DMA if possible" (or some such wording). The other says what it actually is, and this is the one that Windows could change.

Apologies if you've checked this already, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom