Suggestion for graphics card for live HD TV (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-DS2H motherboard with ATI 3200 on board graphics feeding the TV via the HDMI output and with 512Mb of RAM reserved for graphics. This works well and is easily configured etc. Recently when watching live TV, more specifically with BBC HD I get random pixellation and when watching ITV HD (Granada region 1920x1080) the picture quite often becomes jerky (doesn't bother me but the GF just starts whining about it :mad: )

I suppose I need to get a more powerful and dedicated graphics card to overcome these minor issues - any suggestions on a suitable card? I only have a PCI slot remaining and I don't use the PC for gaming.

Many thanks!

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Try to overclock the gpu from the bios. i own gigabyte ga-880gm ud2h and with the default bios settings the 1080i channels was jerky then i overclock the gpu in bios and now the 1080i channells are smoooth.but with bbc hd i never get it working good somethig is wrong with this channel every same seconts the picture freeze for a while and come back only the picture, the voice still playing when i have the freeze.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I did not realise that this could be done.

I have now set the GPU clock from the default of 500Mhz and doubled it to 1000Mhz. The upper range limit on the BIOS screen said max of 2000Mhz, so I'll see how it goes.

I have played back a couple of recorded TV programmes from both BBC HD and ITV HD and so far no pixelation or jerky frames. I'll monitor progress.

Many thanks Nikos!!

:D:D

erik070

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    The Hague
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If I where you I wouldn't overlclock the onboard graphicscard to 1000mhz (if it's even possible). A normal overclock would be 10 tot 20% and if you're lucky a bit more.
    Start with small steps (10-20 mhz) Start up the system and see if you don't get artifacts. You will have to stress the card to really test it, try 3Dmark benchmark from Futuremark.

It's been a while since my last overclock, but the basics are still the same :).

I myself have a Gygabite motherboard with onboard radeon 4200. In windows 7 I have similar problems. This weekend I will revert back to Windows XP sp3. With the right codec setup (SAF 4 or 5) deinterlacing HDTV should not be a problem. With my old system I had Win XP sp3 installed, it didn't give me any problems (with radeon 4350) with 1080i.

Will post info after installing win xp again.

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    i have now more than 5 month overclocked my onboard HD 4250 on 1000mhz from 500mhz with no problems.time will tell how long can survive :)

ps. why manufactor give you the ability to overclocked till 2000 mhz and they have it for default 500mhz? also i notice that you cannot overclock more than 1000 bios refused to boot. so i think 1000mhz is safe to used .

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i have now more than 5 month overclocked my onboard HD 4250 on 1000mhz from 500mhz with no problems.time will tell how long can survive :)

ps. why manufactor give you the ability to overclocked till 2000 mhz and they have it for default 500mhz? also i notice that you cannot overclock more than 1000 bios refused to boot. so i think 1000mhz is safe to used .

You must have a good cooling system then... The 500 Mhz standard is to make sure it wont break down within the warranty period.. Note that you have voided the warranty by overclocking it this way.

Dont be surprized you will start seeing more and more problems in the near future.. it just deteriorates quicker,

Lots

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    yes you are right after this article :)

but we are speaking for the noumbers (mhz) that the mobo give to us

you are right we are going off topic but the point is that we help someone to fix his promlem.

You must have a good cooling system then... The 500 Mhz standard is to make sure it wont break down within the warranty period.. Note that you have voided the warranty by overclocking it this way.

Dont be surprized you will start seeing more and more problems in the near future.. it just deteriorates quicker,

Lots

from speedfan after watching more than 1 hour hdtv

cpu 47
    system 36
    gpu 43
    core 31

as for cooling 2x80cm artic cooling at 1000 rpm and stock cpu fan.
    and 1x120 artic cooling targeting the middle of the mobo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom