Suggestions for a small second display for navigation only? (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

I have a dedicated PC running MediaPortal and the video output is to a DLP projector (via VGA @ 1280x720 – 16:9 widescreen mode - I use Boilermaker's BlueTwo widescreen skin).

It all works wonderfully.... :D

But, when I just want to play some music, then it seems overkill to fire up the DLP projector just so that I can navigate the MediaPortal menus to select the appropriate music. At present, I use VNC from another PC to navigate the MediaPortal menus, and that is OK, but a bit clumsy as the second PC is in a separate part of the house.

What I would really like is a small display, connected directly to the MCPC, that I can use just for menu navigation (via the MCE Remote). It seems that my choices are:-

1. Connect an LCD monitor as a secondary cloned display. This would have to be a 1280x720 widescreen (16:9) display, which probably means large (>17†diagonal) and expensive (>$500)?

2. Find a small (~7†diagonal) widescreen display that can work in cloned mode? Does anyone know if these exist? And will it work with MediaPortal?

3. Use a VFD multi-line alpha display – has anybody done this and can you use it to successfully navigate within MediaPortal?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Taipan

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    I know that there are people working on MP remote from PPC

yep, that would be me...

the PocketPC application would be very easy to port to a regular windows app that can run on your secondary screen.. navigation is fully functional already..and a music browser is also available..

and yes, Netremote in combination with Girder can be configured to send keyboard commands.. (but you're gonna have to pay for it..)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Barbarossa said:
    What about a PPC?
    Yes, the PPC application looks very promising. However, I don't have a PPC and I have very little idea of their capability.

MrSensitive, I gather you are using a Dell Axim X5, which is no longer available from Dell, but I can probably get one at a reasonable price on eBay. Can you give me some "minimum specifications" that I should look for?

I am trying to keep the cost of this to a minimum as the PPC would only ever be used with MediaPortal - sort of an "intelligent" remote control.

This suggestion:-
    MrSensitive said:
    the PocketPC application would be very easy to port to a regular windows app that can run on your secondary screen.. navigation is fully functional already..and a music browser is also available..
    also appeals to me - but I am not sure how I would use my existing MCE Remote to navigate the menu on the secondary screen?

Cheers,

Taipan

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, that is the sort of device that I was looking at too - a 7" widescreen (16:9) monitor that I could connect as a VGA secondary display and use as the navigation only display.

Sounds like the Pcket PC application could be ported to Windows XP and run on the secondary display - which is exactly what I am looking for.... :)

I assume that I could then use my MCE remote to navigate on the secondary display? Or would I need a touch-screen display, as the MCE remote would only function against the primary display?

MrSensitive

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2004
    Belgium
    Mininimum specs.. no idea really, but I have my axim running in powersave mode (200 Mhz, and it is running fairly well.. altough if a lot ef elements need to be drawn, the performance could drop a bit..)

but beware, the app is designed to be used with a touchscreen only !! there is no code in place to accept keypresses or something to highlight menuitems etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom