Suggestions for Moving Pictures v1.0+ (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Moving Pictures 1.0 works fine with MediaPortal 1.0.2 and greater. The StreamedMP skin however uses MediaPortal 1.1.0 features so you may want to upgrade if you're not using Blue3Wide.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    possible new feature.

thanks to the categories i am able to have inside moving pictures all my movies in spanish as well as the ones in english. however, it would be nice to have the ability to specify which scrapers should be used for each category.

maybe have a "use all scrapers" as default, and then have also the option to set "only spanish scrapers", "only english", or "only x,y and z scrapers"

right now, i am getting the spanish movie info for a movie that is in english language, and viceversa.

hope I explained myself correctly.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Well the problem Gixxer is movies are placed in most categories based on data actually pulled by the scraper script. So in most cases what you are describing would be impossible.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Well the problem Gixxer is movies are placed in most categories based on data actually pulled by the scraper script. So in most cases what you are describing would be impossible.

after reading it and thinking about it again I understand how it can be imposible the way I suggested.

maybe there is another way round it.

If it comes to me I will report back. but still something to have in mind.

thanks fforde and rest of team for great work

Mouch.net

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2007
    La Calamine
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Why not choose Language/Scraper by looking to (default) langague flag for mkv.
    Or maybe Set a default Scraper for each import folder...

My current system is working this way:

I created a language filter that sorts my movies according their source Path. E.g.:
    - if path Begins with \\MediaServer\Movies\eng > English
    - if path Begins with \\MediaServer\Movies\fre > French
    - if path Begins with \\MediaServer\Movies\ger > German
    All infos are downloaded in English no matter the movie language .

It would be nicer if infos were available in the movie language ;)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Mouch i am in the same exact situation. with different paths of course but I have done exactly the same and of course nearly all my movies have the info in spanish and would be nice to have the info in the language the movie is in.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Another solution would be to make the scraper aware of the non-English language it comes across when it has finished scraping the English page. Then it would check if that language has their own scraper and immediatly start a new scrape with that one. It would mean double the amount of scraping if you only have non-English movies, but that would be imho a much easier way to implement, then rely on all the custom ways that users might have stored their files to indicate different languages.

This double scraping also adds the benefit that when a non-English movie doesn't have a complete entry on all the fields on say for example imdb.es that the scraper would simply leave alone the English scraper information that was added already for those respective fields. I would think that most users would prefer a combination of non-English, with English for the missing fields to make a more complete entry.

Of course saying something is easy to add doesn't make it so, so I'll leave it up to the brilliant programmers to decide on that :D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    The biggest problems with what you are suggesting RoChess involve usability. To begin with, your plan would require two rounds of importation for one movie, meaning the user would in some cases have to approve a match twice, once for each language. This I think would be counter intuitive to most people and the UI we have for the importer does not really support this kind of work flow very well.

Then you get into error conditions that have to be dealt with and exposed to the user so that they can correct things. Instead of a file getting auto approved as the wrong movie, now you might get an English language film imported in German because of a bad match in phase one. Or a German language film that matched correctly in round one but incorrectly in round two, meaning you'd have the right language but the wrong movie details. How do we expose these situations to the user? Currently the user can just click the drop down in the importer to select the correct movie when something goes wrong. But how should this be handled with a two phased import process? What possible matches should be listed in the drop down, search results from phase one or phase two? And when the user selects a movie from the drop down will this restart the whole process? Should the importer attempt to switch to a new scraper script if necessary again?

So what you are suggesting is not very easy. It would be far simpler to select a language based on .NFO details, filename or mediainfo. Even a setup like this though would require a sophisticated rules system to allow the user to define what scripts should be used when. This could easily be just as complicated as the filtering system (although perhaps a few components could be reused). Ultimately though I am a bit skeptical that the payoff would be worth the effort. I suspect most users will want all their movie details in the same language. Meaning a lot of development time would be spent on a feature that would not be used by a large number of users.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I didn't convey my throughts well. What I originally had in mind would be to combine it with the future Movie Manager filtering methods that are planned (which you informed me about before). I can indeed see how an automatic redo could cause problems.

Via the filter way the user could first filter out all the Spanish movies that the English scraper detected, select them all (or however many they want) and rerun them with their Spanish scraper.

The NFO method would be ideal then to still be implemented for a fully automatic solution, but not everybody has an NFO file for all their files. As you stated the NFO method will take some fancy code, so it probably won't be on the short list of things to complete, but if memory serves me well, the filtering method is already due soon (keeping my fingers crossed), so all that would be needed is an extra drop down option inside the gear icon menu named for example "Importer with Spanish scraper". Where this option would only appear if a match is found between the language filtered on and a scraper available for that language.

Of course easier said than done, but figured I show an alternative way that could coexist with the NFO solution, either because it might be easier to implement for the time being, but also because not everybody has NFO files and this would allow them to still get it working.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    To be clear RoChess none of these things are currently planned. The point of my post was:

1) The double import method would cause a lot of usability issues not easily solved.
    2) Rules to use specific scrapers for specific files would be a lot of work for a feature that few people would use. As neat as this feature would be, this fact makes me hesitant to even schedule it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom