Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC (2 Viewers)

PaulT

Portal Member
July 19, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So, victory!

Having done a full restore I initialised the Cyclone without changing any settings (default US) and it activated fine, so for anyone else buying this, don't change any of the region, timezone etc. until after you've gone through the full automated setup and activated Windows. I'm updating .Net 3.5 now and will have a tinker with MP Server this week, and share any important points here.

One thing I will be investigating further is the ethernet option, and whether a USB>Gigabit is better, as it seems to be choking the internet connection with only a 3Mb download speed vs my usual 13Mb (no fibre in my area).

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One thing I will be investigating further is the ethernet option, and whether a USB>Gigabit is better, as it seems to be choking the internet connection with only a 3Mb download speed vs my usual 13Mb (no fibre in my area).
    Looking forward to your results. This will probably also resolve the WOL problems.

PaulT

Portal Member
    July 19, 2015
    Home Country
    TVServer installed and working with Vbox IPTV (DVB-S/S2) and using WebEPG - Complete
    Local installation of Kodi to test Mediaportal PVR addon integration and channel viewing - Complete
    External Kodi installation (Chromebox) running Mediaportal PVR - Not working yet

I can view EPG but can't play back channels. This very well could be due to a number of issues, including correct SMB share access which I think is not right yet. I can't browse to the Timeshift / Recording folders from the Chromebox Kodi. Currently these are on an external USB drive on the Cyclone, so something isn't right.

I haven't had much time to play with it and it's surplus to my "real" set up so will be a "when time permits" work in progress.

I'll be ordering a proper USB 2.0 to Gigabit adaptor as the inbuilt LAN (which shows up as USB 2.0 to 10/100) is very slow. Internet downloads run around 180KB/s instead of the usual 1300KB/s so it appears very choked.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Internet downloads run around 180KB/s instead of the usual 1300KB/s so it appears very choked.
    This seems to happen on the Cyclone only. The Justop runs at the expected speed. Go figure...

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Red Lodge, Suffolk, England
    Home Country
    This seems to happen on the Cyclone only. The Justop runs at the expected speed. Go figure...

Yep, that was my experience. Different USB network chipsets between the two machines. My experience is that the Justop is overall the better of the two (and cheaper), although the Justop is limited to HDMI output.

dcweather

Portal Member
    July 24, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I wonder if you can help me as although I am fine with conventional PC's etc have not delved much into this. I'm looking for a low power silent PC to run a weather station via a USB connection. It will need to be collecting data 24/7 and running the Windows software which will not work if a PC hibernates at all. It will also be sending data via Wifi connection to my website every 10 minutes.
    Do you think Justop will be okay for this. Thanks,
    Dave

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you think Justop will be okay for this.
    Yes, it will. Deactivate the energy saving options so that it never shuts down and it will stay on 24/7 with ca. 5-6 W power consumption.

dcweather

Portal Member
    July 24, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Cool, thanks. That's still incredibly low compared to the 80W on the current desktop.Will save me £6 per month so will pay for itself in a year plus I won't have to turn it off when guests stay in the spare room!
    Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom