Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    This conversation reminds me of the NASA space pen/pencil apocryphal story :D

<no_offense_implied>(y)
    Do you all live in such huge rooms that you cannot simply turn things off/on with the power buttons? Or cannot wait the few seconds for things to power up?
    I think I must live in a simple world, with reasonably small rooms - if I'm not using whatever (or it's not performing a service of some kind) it gets switched off/powered down. When I need it I simply walk the massive length of 8 meters to the TV & HTPC and power them up. This means I manage to maintain my weight, teaches me the extremely useful virtue of being patient, and saves me money too. I am slowly carving out my own groove, and does cause extra wear and tear, in the carpet though, perhaps I should calculate the cost of this...

If I need the HTPC to record something, I simply leave it on.
    </no_offense_implied>

Anyhow - isn't this getting a little off topic good people??:rolleyes:
    I wanna know more about this funky little box!
    • Does it get hot?
    • How noisy is it (one from the GF here).
    • Picture quality and performance detail.
    Stuff along those lines...

Last edited:

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Red Lodge, Suffolk, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This conversation reminds me of the NASA space pen/pencil apocryphal story :D

Anyhow - isn't this getting a little off topic good people??:rolleyes:
    I wanna know more about this funky little box!
    • Does it get hot?
    • How noisy is it (one from the GF here).
    • Picture quality and performance detail.
    Stuff along those lines...

It got off topic quite a while ago. It's a good box. It stays relatively cool. It's silent. It boots and shuts down very quickly. It has a full blown 32 bit version of Windows 8.1. It plays everything up to 1080p that I have without dropping frames. There, that's all the info you really need. No crap about circuitry mods or anguish about not playing ultra super hd DTS, for which little material exists. Only useful as a TV Client as there are no PCI or PCI-E expansion sockets inside.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    No 64bit? Have you tried it with the Win10 previews?
    I'm looking for a new MP box (single seat + TV) and not really bothered about the super high quality sound/image stuff.
    What about TV too - I guess I'll be buying a USB TV thingy...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No crap about circuitry mods or anguish about not playing ultra super hd DTS, for which little material exists.
    Says the guy who earlier complained about others being rude...:)

All I did was to describe solutions to work around the technical limitations. Also you dont't seem to bother answering other people's questions, e.g. mine about the Cyclone’s power on BIOS options.Maybe I have been categorized as belonging to tghe "too many rude and arrogant people here".:(

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    No 64bit? Have you tried it with the Win10 previews?
    I'm looking for a new MP box (single seat + TV) and not really bothered about the super high quality sound/image stuff.
    What about TV too - I guess I'll be buying a USB TV thingy...
    Got it to replace the MP TV Client in the bedroom, so not really bothered about the OS - just wanted something that didn't have wailing fans. It is what it is - a cheap, relatively powerful tiny little black box with a wifi aerial sticking out the back that plays all my files and TV without stuttering and without any fuss.

I also bought a cheaper version off Amazon for £89 with almost identical spec. That will be going into the kitchen hooked up to an old 21" monitor mounted on the wall.[DOUBLEPOST=1436003161][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No crap about circuitry mods or anguish about not playing ultra super hd DTS, for which little material exists.
    Says the guy who earlier complained about others being rude...:)

All I did was to describe solutions to work around the technical limitations. Also you dont't seem to bother answering other people's questions, e.g. mine about the Cyclone’s power on BIOS options.Maybe I have been categorized as belonging to tghe "too many rude and arrogant people here".:(

Wrong. I haven't been into the BIOS yet as that means removing it from the back of the TV where it is attached via Velcro. When I have time I will do it.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    There's certainly some sensitive souls here :love:
    Feel the love guys!
    I might take a punt at this, it's not too many £££s - time to sweet talk the GF...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mine should arrive Monday ;)

How is your MiniPC connected, ethernet or WiFi? You mentioned that TV is showing nicely, hence I was wondering about WiFi connection and transmission quality when used as a MP client.

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Mine should arrive Monday ;)

How is your MiniPC connected, ethernet or WiFi? You mentioned that TV is showing nicely, hence I was wondering about WiFi connection and transmission quality when used as a MP client.
    USB to Gigabit Ethernet connection. You don't get the full gigabit as USB2 is only 480 Mbs. However it is faster than both wireless and the 10/100 built in Ethernet connection. I don't use wireless in the house except for my mobile. 10/100 and probably wireless N are adequate and pose no problem for TV and film viewing. However, I have over 1000 CDs and 1200 films stored on a NAS and there is a noticeable lag when displaying lists when using 10/100 which is alleviated when using the USB gigabit connection.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks,

That sounds good. So the adaptor gives you ca. 4x more speed than the 100M line. On a 100M connection I am observing occasional stuttering with HD live TV when there is traffic in my local network.

So probably something to routinely add to one's local installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom