Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC (2 Viewers)

dcweather

Portal Member
July 24, 2015
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Now you tell me! Just bought it yesterday following all of the positive stuff above and reply to my question :-(

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @dcweather ,
    Don't worry, you will be OK. Throttling occurs under heavy load such as decoding. Even then it doesn't stop working but runs a little bit slower. Nothing to worry too much about, unless you use time-critical applications such as video streaming.

There is a comparably easy solution, which requires a little bit of tinkering by putting a heatsink on the bottom of the case.

Last edited:

dcweather

Portal Member
    July 24, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    @dcweather ,
    Don't worry, you will be OK. Throttling occurs under heavy load such as decoding. Even then it doesn't stop working but runs a little bit slower. Nothing to worry too much about, unless you use time-critical applications such as video streaming.

Phew! Thanks.

There is a comparably easy solution, which requires a little bit of tinkering by putting a heatsink on the bottom of the case.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not had any over heating issues with mine.
    Can you confirm that you have been watching 1080i sources? Throttling does not occur on SD channels, very slightly on 720p (DVD) and 1080p HD but heavily on 1080i. It might also be that the internal heat pad on mine was not correctly mounted during assembly.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All upscaled to 1080p.
    That's not the question;). What kind of video source have you been using with the kids? SD TV, HD TV or DVD? All of these sources will play quite well without visible chopping. The only indicator might be the number of dropped frames, which you can display with Shift-1. It's on 1080i only that you would really notice the problem. BBC HD will broadcast either in 1080p or 1080i - this seems to vary depending on the content.

Could you take a look at some BBC HD channels and switch Shift-1 on? This way you'll see the rendering curves. They should all be as flat as possible with the red one displaying the frame rate. The respective number is displayed in the text and you should see this staying close to 50 fps, maybe slightly oscillating. Lower values will indicate throttled CPU states.

The latter reminds me that I had switched on additional C-states in the BIOS. I should maybe try and switch that off again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom