Super Newbie - whats included with what (1 Viewer)

R

rjbarry

Some basic basic newbie questions. I've been reading and reading but I'm still confused. I'm a technical person that is totally new to HTPC topics.

I'm considering converting a spare computer into a HTPC that will go in my stero rack. I've upgraded the motherboard and processor but now for the big (and confusing) issues.

If I buy a Hauppage PVR 150 kit with IR transmitter/reciever... that actually doesn't have a remote control... right? So I should buy a Snapstream Firefly... right?

If I install Media Portal and whatever software that comes with the 150, I should be set... or do I need BeyondTV or BeyondMedia? I'm having a hard time distingushing what features are supported by what?

My requirements are really:
- full TiVo-like functionality.
- simple integration with my iTunes library
- simple screen controls to access TV, Music and DVD.
- all of the above with a single, simple, remote control.
- minimize costs

R

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If I buy a Hauppage PVR 150 kit with IR transmitter/reciever... that actually doesn't have a remote control... right? So I should buy a Snapstream Firefly... right?

If its a non-oem i believe it should come with a remote, but you should check with the shop you buy it from first.

full TiVo-like functionality.

MP yes.

simple integration with my iTunes library

I think someone was working on a plugin like this?

simple screen controls to access TV, Music and DVD.

Yep

all of the above with a single, simple, remote control.

Depends on the remote entirely, seems the easiest way to go is the actual MCE2005 remote which has built in support. Could look in other threads for different remotes as well.

minimize costs

MP is free? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom