Super Silent Graphic Card needed (1 Viewer)

kmk235

Portal Member
September 2, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a very quiet but fast graphic card. Any ideas?
It should have HDMI 1.4a and I want it to be very silent.
My PC Case is an Antec Fusion black case. So it can't be one of those huge passive cooled ones. Unfortunately.
Any ideas? My knowledge about graphic card is not so good.

Thanks everyone!

sunfire7

Portal Pro
March 24, 2011
Home Country
Mexico Mexico
I Also have that case, currently I have an Nvidia GT220 from Gigabyte, is not passive but is very silent, and gives me cuda HW acceleration, (no dropped frames) in 24 hz. It doesn't have HDMI 1.4a

In my Server I have a passive GT440 from Asus (have hdmi 1.4a) but it doesn't fit in the fusion black case.

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I have been using an ATI HD7750 single slot card for some months now, it relaced my trusted ATI X1950po which lasted for five years but I needed some HD love for UK FREEVIEW HD broadcasts and BLURAY.

An excellent card now using 12.8 catalysts in VISTA OS.

The HD7750 is quieter than any other item in my HTPC; I am sat at the moment a few feet from the case and can only hear the HD's and CPU fan (noisiest in the case)

Even though I bought the HD7750 for media duties gaming has been a eye opener, recently DL'd Black Mesa Half Life and played on MAX settings without problems.

The brand that I bought was the VTX HD7750 as at the time it was the only single slot latest GEN card available; there is now a half height single slot version available.

I paid less than 80 GBP inc postage. Quite possibly the best value/performance GPU I have ever bought in fifteen years.

Attachments

• CATS 12.8 HD7750 MPEG2  MP Playback.JPG
      CATS 12.8 HD7750 MPEG2 MP Playback.JPG
      97.5 KB
    • CATS 12.8 HD7750 HD 1080  MP Playback.JPG
      CATS 12.8 HD7750 HD 1080 MP Playback.JPG
      97.4 KB
    Last edited:

kmk235

Portal Member
    September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks everyone for the ideas!
    I was also stumbling upon the HD 7750! There is even one version that has a passive cooling system, but I am afraid it is too big for the case.
    Which brand did you exactly buy? Do you have a link or something?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just keep in mind: The HD5450 4Fred mentions is slightly underpowerd if you need hardware de-interlacing a lot. I had this one, but replaced it because of this.
    It was 95% ok though on any other media files. :)
    Dont know about the other cards mentioned.

Now I have a Asus CYCLONE G1 HD6750. This is not even spinning up the cooler when running W7 + dvd brrips etc + deinterlacing stuff. Perfect for me.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The HD6450 is the successor to the the HD5450, and is more powerful (160 stream processors instead of 80) but is still a passive, low-profile, single-slot card.

But, (as others have said) if you choose carefully a fan cooled card can be almost as quiet as a passive one - the Palit GT430 I have is almost silent unless it's really working hard.

Tony

Last edited:

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    sorry for hijacing, but what is hardware de-interlacing-why use and why do i need it?

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    sorry for hijacing, but what is hardware de-interlacing-why use and why do i need it?
    Well interlacing is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

And most transmitted TV is interlaced. To output it you need to de-interlace.

This turns out to be surprisingly difficult. If you do it in software (ie. On the CPU) this can cause high CPU usage and also it can force the actual video decoding onto the CPU too.

Graphics cards have special hardware and algorithms designed to de-interlace efficiently. All hardware de-interlacing is getting the graphics card to do it.

So you get lower CPU usage and a cleaner chain of things to output the video. On a lower end system you can end up with stuttering unwatchable video without it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom