Support for the Sigma X Card (1 Viewer)

Bascombe

Portal Member
July 19, 2005
Just wondering if there was any progress on mp supporting the xcard - I noticed there was a request a while ago on the sigma designs forum from someone attached to the project for the sdk. Was it forthcoming? If you're ever looking for testers, I'd be happy to pitch in.

Cheers,

Bascombe

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
This is unlikely to ever happen, IMO the card does not offer any advantages over modern graphics cards. The ability to play a movie in fullscreen on a PII is nice and all but thats not what MP is about.

More importantly, MP relies on DX9 to accelerate much of the UI's rendering. Even though the XCard has certain graphics capabilities, they are nowhere near what are needed.

jpskiller

Portal Member
May 30, 2005
UK
Is it possible to just use the Xcard as RGB Scart TV out for qual, as I find svid, comp, on the nvidia tricky to get good picture

ps.
I have also seen the xcard used with tvedia and the divx playback is of a lot higher standard than just software codecs

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
The interest is out there, now it's time to implement it...

Are you planning on implementing a solution? If so then a cautionary word...

The render engine is the subject of heavy changes at the moment and these changes are expected to continue into the new year.

Once these changes are in place the task of adding support for additional output devices, such as the XCard, will be *greatly* simplified. That said, there is no guarantee that the XCard's rendering capabilities are going to be able to do a satisfactory job.

My advice to anyone wishing to implement support would be to hold on until this work is complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom