Surround-receiver-like functionality (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Using perhaps ac3filter in the background, make an audio setup page with controls for surround decoding, individual level/delay (or even room correction), just like the setup OSD of regular surround sound amplifiers.

K-man

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I have no use for it, however it wouldn't really be a waste of time if you only hvae a 5.1 speaker set connected to your HTPC rather then a 5.1 receiver.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
jondmac said:
would be a waste of time as you do that on your surround reciver anyways.

I am planning to getting rid of my surround receiver. My dream setup would include 7.1 active speakers, or a pure power amplifier.

I am getting fed up changing a $$ surround reciever everytime new codecs are released (dobly pro logic, then AC3, then DTS, then 6.1/7.1, then WMA, and now lossless hd surround codecs), when all that is really is changed is a dsp code.

Power amplifiers and loudspakers are proven technology that will work equally well in 20 years I believe. Codecs, room correction etc should be done in PC software.

regards
Knut Inge

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
jondmac said:
would be a waste of time as you do that on your surround reciver anyways.

I am planning to getting rid of my surround receiver. My dream setup would include 7.1 active speakers, or a pure power amplifier.

I am getting fed up changing a $$ surround reciever everytime new codecs are released (dobly pro logic, then AC3, then DTS, then 6.1/7.1, then WMA, and now lossless hd surround codecs), when all that is really is changed is a dsp code.

Power amplifiers and loudspakers are proven technology that will work equally well in 20 years I believe. Codecs, room correction etc should be done in PC software.

regards
Knut Inge

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Yeah, that may be.

Currently, true 6.1 is only available using DTS ES discreete, other 6.1 options are matrixed just like analog surround. That is not to say that one cant attain good results.

I think that the main benefit of increasing the number of channels is that the sweet spot is enlarged. In other words, a good soundstage is possible in several listening positions.

Other than that, I am just a geek wanting to have every new function without paying for it =)

-k

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well as I said.....anything above a properly setup 5.1 system at home is a waste. It's the industry tying to milk consumers out of more money for features that they'll never use/understand/fullly benefit from/notice.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I think that you are repeating the mantra without going into a discussion :)

I have heard multi-channel ambisonic in university, and I do believe that it is the futurue.

-k

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
knutinh said:
I think that you are repeating the mantra without going into a discussion :)

I have heard multi-channel ambisonic in university, and I do believe that it is the futurue.

-k

There isn't much of a discussion available......your average joe home user who goes to buy a home theatre system, really won't be able to tell the difference between a 5.1 system and a 6.1 or 7.1 system besides the amount they had to spend.

For audophiles who want to spend the amount of money required to have a proper 7.1 system in their home (preamp, individual channel amps, matched speakers, etc), if that's what turns their crank than so be it....but generally speaking, in the home, a 5.1 system is more then enough.

To each their own however, and if having a 6.1 or 7.1 system gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, then go for it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom