SVN updated also the database (structure) (1 Viewer)

sunflower

Portal Pro
February 28, 2007
Cologne
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi folks,
I'm jsut a new user to MP, and I was wondering If you have to uninstall TV Server everytime you want to use the latest SVN, unlike with the client, where you can install SVN just "on top"
This is no thread "hijacking"- I just thought that my question fits the threat...
thx

cheers
joystick

Hi,
you're right. The TV-Server (and the plugin) have to be uninstalled before installing the SVN.
Normally this is done very quickly, unless the db-structure is changed.
(See the entries above)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    before I update the TV engine, I read through recent TVengine SVN threads to see if there has been any database changes. This gives me an idea of what I am in for.
    Usually I also find someone has posted a fix to recreate my existing database, as has happened this time.
    Sure, it takes me a little longer but I'd rather my time was slightly taken up than one of the dev's has to spend time coding something new when they could be doing other stuff.

Even at the point where the error message about the database is displayed, I believe it is still possible to roll back. Otherwise, maybe just make a backup of the database before you upgrade. I've never bothered with this before though.

This isn't a smug "it's opensource" type of reply, just stating that there are other possibilities as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom