Switched from cable to antenna - now can't find channels (1 Viewer)

digitlman

Portal Member
June 22, 2011
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 R

Hello,

So, we cut the cord, and just bought a DTV antenna.

I hooked the antenna up to the tv to make sure it works, and I found 23 channels.

So, I hooked the antenna up to my HTPC. I have a Happauge WInTV HVR-2250. Worked awesome when we had cable.

I deleted all the old channels and channel groups, then switched both analoges in the tv server setting to Antenna and ran a find channels.

Nothing shows up.

WTF am I doing wrong? Do I need to re-add the EPG for analog in my area first?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi digitlman

There might be any number of things wrong. Please post logs as per our support thread rules and fill out the system specifications in your profile so that we don't waste two days with guessing. ;)

We make this *very* easy for you:
    1. Find the "debug mode" link in the "Team MediaPortal" folder in your start menu.
    2. Start it.
    3. Select option 3 "export all currently present logs".
    4. Click "proceed" - this will create a zip file on your desktop.
    5. Post the zip file here.

That's a 30 second job so please *always* do this in the future to save both us and you time. If you get stuck at any point (like attaching files to a post) then refer to our wiki -->here<--. Also, you must run MediaPortal configuration and click OK at least once (to create a MediaPortal config file) before you try to follow the instructions above.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    :D
    There doesn't seem to be anything wrong there.

Just to clarify: you're after digital over-the-air ATSC channels aren't you?
    If so then you want to be scanning with the ATSC tuners rather than the analog tuners - that's the two "Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM Tuner" tuners. These are the same tuners that you might have used for cable and clear QAM channels. All that you have to do to change between cable mode and over-the-air mode is untick the "tune QAM instead of ATSC option". After that just start a scan - I'm pretty sure the QAM tuning frequencies don't matter for ATSC.

Getting back to the analog tuners real quick: these days I think they're not much good for anything other than analog cable channels and external inputs from a set top box, VCR, DVD player etc. That is because over-the-air NTSC [analog] TV has been turned off in the USA (at least as far as I'm aware anyway). If old style NTSC TV is still available in your area then you may have to enable the "cable" option when you scan - I know it doesn't make much sense, but that is what I have to do here to pick up all my analog TV channels.

Hope that helps! :)
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom