Switching from BTV 3.72 to MP...Any Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

mismith356

Portal Member
December 18, 2005
Hi All,

I have not been thrilled with BTV recently and need to rebuild the OS on my box anyway...seemed like a good time to try a more complete solution.

I was considering MCE2k5 but thought MP would provide greater flexability given I was going to have to use several hacks to get MCE working the way I wanted...it seemed silly when I could use MP and plugins versus hacks.

Anyhow, that's my thinking (wrong or right).

So, I have read the install guide and some of the Howto stuff. Any words of advice as I prepare to do the install later tonight?

I am hoping to attain a WAF of at least what I had with BTV and would really prefer to excede that.

Main concerns are stability and easy of use (once configured and wowrking properly which I know might take several days to a week of tweaking).

Thanks for any advice fellas!

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I would recommend keeping BTV for a little longer while you experiment with MP.

V .2 is very stable and if you can find a good CVS update to apply (around mid November is good, due to recent heavy work on the DTV engine) you will have a heap of great features.

This way you can experiment on MP in the background and you will have an excellent WAF when you "Go
    For me, I spent a long time finding a good base and the WAF plummeted. Even now that MP is perfect for me and does more than any other the WAF is still shaky.

Also, if you have any issues and need help, don't forget to use the support template ;-)

mismith356

Portal Member
    December 18, 2005
    Thanks Marcus, I appreciate your responding.

I was considering .1.3.0 + 6-28 cvs I saw somebody here mention...So your suggesting .2 rc1 plus cvs. I thought .2 had several TV playback issues but got that impression only from reading a few posts.

hmmm...well, maybe I'll lay down BTV again but had hoped to avoid that.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've settled on MP v.2 with CVS from Nov 8, 23:00.
    It works very well. The later versions are a little iffy in some ways.

Just remember to follow the instructions for applying CVS or you will have issues.

And yeah, the version you talk about is also very good.

mismith356

Portal Member
    December 18, 2005
    It's ALIVE!!!

I have installed and gotten 1.3.0 working...(albeit with some bougs and limitations)...but working none the less!

Playback and xmltv guide work as does weather and My Pics.

Wizard code seems to take issue with not finding DTD...hoping cvs fixes this.

All video is 16:9 instead of 4:3...I use a ViewSonic FP 18" VGA display but can't seem to find the proper adjustment anywhere.

Qestion on CVS updates though..I have seen at least one post mentioning 28/6 version on top of 1.3.0...there are 4-5 builds on that day...shall I just get the last one?

Also...is there some thread saying or suggestion all new users to apply this (or any) specific cvs update to whatever version (in my case 1.3.0)??

I checked the weki and searched...maybe I need a better search string than "1.3.0 cvs update"???

Please let me know if i missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom