System.NullReferenceException while scanning for satellite channels

Discussion in '1.3.x' started by Chuckyy, May 23, 2013.

1. Chuckyy

Chuckyy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
    Hi,
    preliminary history:
    I've upgraded my HTPC System from 1.2.3 to 1.3.0. Upgrade Process went flawlessly. I installed streamedmp afterwards. Then I noticed that the menu is one option short. "TV" was missing. It took me some time to find out that the installaion process made a TV-Server out of my single-seat-installation. Don't know why that happened.

Real Problem starts here:
    The list of my TV channels is now empty. TV was up and running before the update. The next usual step is to scan for channels which causes a lot of problems for me.

I documented my steps below. I can reproduce the error on my machine any time.

My thoughts and observations:
    I expect the scan to flip through a lot of transponders. But it usually scans exactly one. After that, nothing happens. The bars indicate that the scan is finished but I expect to see something like "found" or "new" channels. None of that appears. Instead the upper button changes its textual content from "Cancel..." to "New Scan". If I click "New Scan" everything switches back to the state as it was when I first opened that menu.
    It is really difficult for me to figure out what is going wrong. I don't know how to gather logs from the configuration menu. However, the error.log shows some errors:

C:\Program Data\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal TV Server\error.log
    Code (Text):
    1. 2013-05-23 22:12:15.325195 [DVB-S scan thread(4)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    2.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    3.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    5. 2013-05-23 22:12:36.254882 [DVB-S scan thread(8)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    6.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    7.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    9. 2013-05-23 22:13:27.889648 [DVB-S scan thread(12)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    10.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    11.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    13. 2013-05-23 22:14:14.871093 [SetupTv(1)]: OnActivated error: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    14. 2013-05-23 22:14:32.682617 [DVB-S scan thread(13)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    15.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    16.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    18. 2013-05-23 22:16:03.201171 [DVB-S scan thread(14)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    19.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    20.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    22. 2013-05-23 22:18:19.120117 [DVB-S scan thread(9)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    23.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    24.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    26. 2013-05-23 22:19:56.385742 [DVB-S scan thread(11)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    27.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    28.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()
    30. 2013-05-23 22:21:44.674804 [DVB-S scan thread(13)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    31.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
    32.   bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Open TV-Server Configuration
    2. TV-Servers -> <Servername> -> <Hauppauge TV Card>
    3. Click "Scan for channels"
    4. Wait 3 hours
    5. No channels are found.
    6. Click "New Scan"
    7. Endless Loop

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,175 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the screenshots... but please also provide the full logs - they are required for bug reports! :)

On a singleseat installation the watchdog will include TV log files, which includes the configuration tool.

Follow the instructions for non-reproducible problems:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Alternatively:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files you find there and post/attach the zip file here.

4. Chuckyy

Chuckyy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thanks for your patience explaining and answering.

I uploaded the logs. I had a look in the logs. Found a new error:
    Code (Text):
    1. Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider MySQL) could not be reached.
    2. Check the connection string: Server=htpc-PC;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=30; ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. ---> System.Exception: Eine Ausnahme vom Typ "System.Exception" wurde ausgelöst.
    3.   bei MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open()
    So, I remember to have manually modified the tv database after the upgrade I run into the bug described here:
    Code (Text):
    1. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-1-3-beta-failed-to-update-database.114583/
    I did
    Code (Text):
    1. ALTER TABLE Channel DROP COLUMN ChannelNumber;
    And I could finish installation.

The error "Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts." is rubish. MySQL is up and running. Attached an image as proof. Credentials are correct.

Attached Files:

• mysql.PNG
      mysql.PNG
      File size:
      17.9 KB
      Uploaded:
      May 25, 2013
      Views:
  5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,175 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No problem. :)

I suspect that one of your tuning details may be missing the corresponding channel record.
    Normally that should never happen... however sometimes stranger things have been seen. ;)

Do you have any channels and/or tuning details in your database?
    Could you please run:
    Code (Text):
    1. SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Channel;
    ...and...
    Code (Text):
    1. SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TuningDetail;
    ...and report the results here.

Thanks! :)

6. Chuckyy

Chuckyy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Channel: 12
    TuningDetail: 1292

Found something that might belong to this: If i untick "Enable DVB-S2", I get 12 channels.

7. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,175 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wow, something is really not right there!
    Maybe deleting that ChannelNumber column was not a good idea. Is the column present now?

At this point I'd recommend to delete all channels and tuning details at the database level:
    Code (Text):
    1. DELETE FROM Channel;
    2. DELETE FROM TuningDetail;
    ...and then try the scan again.

8. Chuckyy

Chuckyy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    No, ChannelNumber.

Code (Text):
    1. Show Tables;
    Code (Text):
    1. 'canceledschedule'
    2. 'card'
    3. 'cardgroup'
    4. 'cardgroupmap'
    5. 'channel'
    6. 'channelgroup'
    7. 'channellinkagemap'
    8. 'channelmap'
    9. 'conflict'
    10. 'diseqcmotor'
    11. 'favorite'
    12. 'groupmap'
    13. 'history'
    14. 'keyword'
    15. 'keywordmap'
    16. 'pendingdeletion'
    17. 'personaltvguidemap'
    18. 'program'
    19. 'radiochannelgroup'
    20. 'radiogroupmap'
    21. 'recording'
    22. 'satellite'
    23. 'schedule'
    24. 'server'
    25. 'setting'
    26. 'softwareencoder'
    27. 'timespan'
    28. 'tuningdetail'
    29. 'tvmoviemapping'
    30. 'version'
    [DOUBLEPOST=1369492422][/DOUBLEPOST]Wow, Satellite Scan works now.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!