System.NullReferenceException while scanning for satellite channels (1 Viewer)

Chuckyy

Portal Member
January 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
Hi,
preliminary history:
I've upgraded my HTPC System from 1.2.3 to 1.3.0. Upgrade Process went flawlessly. I installed streamedmp afterwards. Then I noticed that the menu is one option short. "TV" was missing. It took me some time to find out that the installaion process made a TV-Server out of my single-seat-installation. Don't know why that happened.

Real Problem starts here:
The list of my TV channels is now empty. TV was up and running before the update. The next usual step is to scan for channels which causes a lot of problems for me.

I documented my steps below. I can reproduce the error on my machine any time.

My thoughts and observations:
I expect the scan to flip through a lot of transponders. But it usually scans exactly one. After that, nothing happens. The bars indicate that the scan is finished but I expect to see something like "found" or "new" channels. None of that appears. Instead the upper button changes its textual content from "Cancel..." to "New Scan". If I click "New Scan" everything switches back to the state as it was when I first opened that menu.
It is really difficult for me to figure out what is going wrong. I don't know how to gather logs from the configuration menu. However, the error.log shows some errors:

C:\Program Data\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal TV Server\error.log
Code:
2013-05-23 22:12:15.325195 [DVB-S scan thread(4)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
  bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)
  bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.DoScan()

2013-05-23 22:12:36.254882 [DVB-S scan thread(8)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
  bei SetupTv.Sections.CardDvbS.Scan(Int32 lnb, BandType bandType, DisEqcType diseqc, SatelliteContext context)

2013-05-23 22:13:27.889648 [DVB-S scan thread(12)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

2013-05-23 22:14:14.871093 [SetupTv(1)]: OnActivated error: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
2013-05-23 22:14:32.682617 [DVB-S scan thread(13)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

2013-05-23 22:16:03.201171 [DVB-S scan thread(14)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

2013-05-23 22:18:19.120117 [DVB-S scan thread(9)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

2013-05-23 22:19:56.385742 [DVB-S scan thread(11)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

2013-05-23 22:21:44.674804 [DVB-S scan thread(13)]: Exception  :System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open TV-Server Configuration
2. TV-Servers -> <Servername> -> <Hauppauge TV Card>
3. Click "Scan for channels"
4. Wait 3 hours
5. No channels are found.
6. Click "New Scan"
7. Endless Loop

Attachments

• 1_settings_prescan.PNG
    1_settings_prescan.PNG
    67.3 KB
  • 2_during_scan.PNG
    2_during_scan.PNG
    65.7 KB
  • 3_later_during_scan.PNG
    3_later_during_scan.PNG
    70.2 KB
  • 4_last_step.PNG
    4_last_step.PNG
    60.2 KB
Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the screenshots... but please also provide the full logs - they are required for bug reports! :)

I don't know how to gather logs from the configuration menu.
    On a singleseat installation the watchdog will include TV log files, which includes the configuration tool.

Follow the instructions for non-reproducible problems:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Alternatively:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files you find there and post/attach the zip file here.

Chuckyy

Portal Member
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your patience explaining and answering.

I uploaded the logs. I had a look in the logs. Found a new error:
    Code:
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider MySQL) could not be reached.
    Check the connection string: Server=htpc-PC;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=30; ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. ---> System.Exception: Eine Ausnahme vom Typ "System.Exception" wurde ausgelöst.
      bei MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open()

So, I remember to have manually modified the tv database after the upgrade I run into the bug described here:
    Code:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-1-3-beta-failed-to-update-database.114583/

I did
    Code:
    ALTER TABLE Channel DROP COLUMN ChannelNumber;

And I could finish installation.

The error "Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts." is rubish. MySQL is up and running. Attached an image as proof. Credentials are correct.

Attachments

• mysql.PNG
      mysql.PNG
      17.9 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for your patience explaining and answering.
    No problem. :)

I suspect that one of your tuning details may be missing the corresponding channel record.
    Normally that should never happen... however sometimes stranger things have been seen. ;)

Do you have any channels and/or tuning details in your database?
    Could you please run:
    Code:
    SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Channel;
    ...and...
    Code:
    SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TuningDetail;
    ...and report the results here.

Thanks! :)

Chuckyy

Portal Member
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Channel: 12
    TuningDetail: 1292

Found something that might belong to this: If i untick "Enable DVB-S2", I get 12 channels.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wow, something is really not right there!
    Maybe deleting that ChannelNumber column was not a good idea. Is the column present now?

At this point I'd recommend to delete all channels and tuning details at the database level:
    Code:
    DELETE FROM Channel;
    DELETE FROM TuningDetail;

...and then try the scan again.

Chuckyy

Portal Member
    January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, ChannelNumber.

Code:
    Show Tables;

Code:
    'canceledschedule'
    'card'
    'cardgroup'
    'cardgroupmap'
    'channel'
    'channelgroup'
    'channellinkagemap'
    'channelmap'
    'conflict'
    'diseqcmotor'
    'favorite'
    'groupmap'
    'history'
    'keyword'
    'keywordmap'
    'pendingdeletion'
    'personaltvguidemap'
    'program'
    'radiochannelgroup'
    'radiogroupmap'
    'recording'
    'satellite'
    'schedule'
    'server'
    'setting'
    'softwareencoder'
    'timespan'
    'tuningdetail'
    'tvmoviemapping'
    'version'
    [DOUBLEPOST=1369492422][/DOUBLEPOST]Wow, Satellite Scan works now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom