System requirements for HDTV with MediaPortal (2 Viewers)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA

At this point, it is fair to say that no PC capable of playing back an HD-DVD or a BD at full resolution will be without a graphics card capable of accelerating some portion of the decode process. All of the graphics cards we have seen with real HDCP support (including the ROM and keys required) will feature NVIDIA's PureVideo HD or ATI's AVIVO. While this is, of course, a selling point from both NVIDIA and ATI's side, offloading processing from the CPU happens to be a necessity on lower end hardware. Our perspective on video decode acceleration for graphics cards that support HDCP has shifted to the point where we now feel CPU offloading is a requirement.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At this point, it is fair to say that no PC capable of playing back an HD-DVD or a BD at full resolution will be without a graphics card capable of accelerating some portion of the decode process.

This is not an entirely true quote it depends on the format that the movie is encoded in and the processor in the system.
    i.e. if MPEG-2 or VC-1 then say a P4 3.0GHz dual core processors can handle this without GPU acceleration.
    However if say H.264 encoded at 20Mb/s then yes you'll definately need GPU acceleration.

All of the graphics cards we have seen with real HDCP support (including the ROM and keys required) will feature NVIDIA's PureVideo HD or ATI's AVIVO. While this is, of course, a selling point from both NVIDIA and ATI's side, offloading processing from the CPU happens to be a necessity on lower end hardware. Our perspective on video decode acceleration for graphics cards that support HDCP has shifted to the point where we now feel CPU offloading is a requirement.

Yes if the content is HDCP protected then a graphics card with this support (and there are not many atm) is required as well as a HDCP display and complaint optical drive. So you may as well use the GPU acceleration features since you have been forced to but the latest card.

Personally i'm not gonna stress too much about HDCP until there is a cheap optical drive out which handles both BlueRay & HD-DVD discs.
    But by that time HDCP workarounds similar to DVD Decrypter will be available since it's already been proved crackable.

DMAN

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    dman_lfc said:
    This is not an entirely true quote it depends on the format that the movie is encoded in and the processor in the system.
    i.e. if MPEG-2 or VC-1 then say a P4 3.0GHz dual core processors can handle this without GPU acceleration.
    However if say H.264 encoded at 20Mb/s then yes you'll definately need GPU acceleration.
    Would you buy an HD-DVD/Blue Ray drive if you couldn't play back ALL possible content? I sure wouldn't at around $40 per movie!

While your statement may be true, the reality is that you are going to need it if you want to play ALL content.

Since the article is talking about HD-DVD, Blue Ray and HDCP which were designed for HD movies which at least some are likely to be compressed with H.264 I think it's safe to say that in the context of the article the quote is accurate.

BTW, I notice you have a series 7 NVidia card which is supported by the NVidia PureVideo HD drivers.

Personally i'm not gonna stress too much about HDCP until there is a cheap optical drive out which handles both BlueRay & HD-DVD discs.
    I think I have to agree there. At the very least I'd like to wait for the 2nd or third generation drives which should be much better.

But by that time HDCP workarounds similar to DVD Decrypter will be available since it's already been proved crackable.
    Yes but if you just want to stick in a disk and play it, software like DVD Decrypter will not work since that takes time. If you don't mind waiting then you just need to be able to play back the video the software outputs.
    You could down convert the video to whatever format your PC could handle.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Would you buy an HD-DVD/Blue Ray drive if you couldn't play back ALL possible content? I sure wouldn't at around $40 per movie!

No I wouldn't bother with it just yet. Thats why I say later I would not buy one now but wait till a cheap HD-DVD/BlueRay hybrid drive came out. I certainly wouldn't by my movies again for $40 atm especially in two formats until a single drive comes out. Maybe when they get cheaper and the GPU does too ;-)

BTW, I notice you have a series 7 NVidia card which is supported by the NVidia PureVideo HD drivers.

Not really, PureVideo HD requires cards with HDCP support.
    My 7600GS card does not have this support. :cry:

It seems you've been converted to GPU offloading ;-)
    I guess you've given up on CoreAVC after some heavy H.264 samples :wink:

Yes but if you just want to stick in a disk and play it, software like DVD Decrypter will not work since that takes time. If you don't mind waiting then you just need to be able to play back the video the software outputs.
    You could down convert the video to whatever format your PC could handle.

I'm sure a DVD RegionFree or similar utility will become available especially since when the HDCP master key is exposed & generated the rest should be seemless.

DMAN

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    dman_lfc said:
    It seems you've been converted to GPU offloading ;-)
    I guess you've given up on CoreAVC after some heavy H.264 samples :wink:
    I've always been a fan of offloading things to coprocessors whenever it makes sense to do so. But then I used to have and Amiga so I'm sure that had no influence whatsoever. :lol:

I'm sure a DVD RegionFree or similar utility will become available especially since when the HDCP master key is exposed & generated the rest should be seemless.
    But you are still left with H.264, decrytion and HD video to deal with. That would take a pretty beefy CPU.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh the Amiga... (DMAN slips off into his youth....)

Indeed true about the decoding (Intel Core Duo anyone) fortunately my already outdated GeForce 7 can already deal with that especially with the Cyberlink H.264 decoder on test samples.

BTW I tried the latest Elecard H.264 decoder which now has DXVA support & specifically mentions GeForce chipsets, result = not very good.

DMAN

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    I've been too busy to get this moved to the Wiki but I'd like to do that soon. If anyone has comments on working configurations that could be used to expand on the configuration info please post them.

noob

September 16, 2006
    I am in the process of building a HTPC and mine played the Elephants Dream HD version fine. Here are specs:

Pentium D 820 2.8
    512 MB DDR PC 3200
    G-force 4 MX 440 64 MB
    20GB ATA 100 HDD

It played great in VLC player, but I can't play it in MP. Do I need mpeg4 codecs, or does MP support it and the problem is somwhere else?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    I am in the process of building a HTPC and mine played the Elephants Dream HD version fine. Here are specs:

Pentium D 820 2.8
    512 MB DDR PC 3200
    G-force 4 MX 440 64 MB
    20GB ATA 100 HDD

It played great in VLC player, but I can't play it in MP. Do I need mpeg4 codecs, or does MP support it and the problem is somwhere else?
    Try reading the first post of this thread, it pretty much explains what you need for HD in Media Portal.

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just adding a little fuel to the fire :)

I'm currently watching the HD clips from MS's site. And with a XP64 3000+, and a 6600GT, CPU usage is hovering around 40% even though the CPU refuses to switch to max performance (Running at 997Mhz)....

Mind you, my current output is at 720x576 which will without a doubt lower the required resources...

Cheers,
    Steffen - Looking for a new TV....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom