Tagging of DTS Audio Files

Discussion in 'MPTagThat' started by shorty1483, May 11, 2013.

1. shorty1483
    • Premium Supporter

shorty1483 MP Donator

Cert. IT-Systems Manager
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Referring to this thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...s-with-dts-sound-only-whitenoise.93753/page-5 , I still found it very annoying to always have problems with my DTS WAV files, so I put them in a mka container last year, but put them back to .dts Files last week.

Now to my last problem and the reason for my post: How do I get any tagging working with the .dts files?

Before anyone asks, I just can bitstream DTS and DD as 5.1, so flac or any other lossless format is no option for me atm.

After lots of reading and trying with different formats, I came to a totally confusing idea. Why not just renaming the proper .dts file as .mp3 and see what happens. This was the result:

dts3.jpg dts2.jpg dts1.jpg

In words:
    - in mediainfo the fileinfos are not readable anymore, just size -> No problem for me
    - when renamed to .mp3, MP3Tag and MPTagThat were able put the correct ID3 into the file, even embedded Cover
    - MePo and MediaPlayer play the file without problems
    - MePo recognized the fake-MP3 files and added the ID3 infos to its music-DB and used the embedded cover
    - Fanart-Handler and other Plugins updated it's DBs to like on the Pics above
    - Only small issue: In the album folder, the duration info for the fake-MP3 is wrong, but in PlayNow it's right

Please feel free to test this method with one of your .dts files if you have. According to my small tests, this method works also with 6-channel .wav (44,1 kHz and 48 kHz) and 44,1 kHz .dts. I'm very interested if this is a common method which works for everyone.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

jameson_uk Retired Team Member

Data Warehousing Consultant
    Ratings:
    +2,403 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    The issue with DTS in WAV files is that you need to ensure the signal is untouched between the file and the output. If you are re-sampling to 48Khz then you don't really have the same input anyway so you might as well decode the DTS and encode to a different format.

The DTS files I have I just bitstream straight to my amp (I store them as DTS bitstreams extracted from DVD; so no WAV file) and I use WMPPlayer. Issue here is tagging... I do this manually straight into the database however this is not ideal.

Where I want to get with this is MKA files which can be tagged and can contain DTS bitstreams. Using this route the DTS is just sent to your amp as it is in a film but you get the benefit of tagging. If this does not work now, it will do soon ;)

4. shorty1483
    • Premium Supporter

shorty1483 MP Donator

Cert. IT-Systems Manager
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I also had the 44,1 KHz dts wavs in mka container, but after not hearing it for several months and updating LAV and FFdshow, I recognized the problem of no sound again, even now in mka containers :( But i backed up the untouched source files till I have more time to look on the codec problem. Do you use SPDIF or HDMI connection and whats your setup for dts bitstreaming if I may ask?

Could you just please try the renaming experiment with one of your 44,1 KHz files and see if it works? For me, this is a very practical way until we have mka tagging support in MePo.

5. Helios61
    • Team MediaPortal

Helios61 Test Group

Ratings:
    +897 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    IMO the easiest way is to convert to .flac.

Code (Text):
    1. Allgemein
    2. Vollständiger Name                   : F:\Test\Dire Straits (1998) - Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of (DTS 5.1 flac)\01 - Sultans Of Swing.flac
    3. Format                                : FLAC
    4. Format/Info                           : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    5. Dateigröße                              : 103 MiB
    6. Dauer                                   : 5min 50s
    7. Modus der Gesamtbitrate               : variabel
    8. Gesamte Bitrate                       : 2 474 Kbps
    9. Album                                   : Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of
    10. Album/Künstler                       : Dire Straits / Dire Straits
    11. Teil                                    : 01/01
    12. Track-Name                            : Sultans Of Swing
    13. Track-Name/Position                   : 01/16
    14. Künstler                               : Dire Straits
    15. Genre                                   : Rock
    16. Aufnahmedatum                           : 1998
    17. Cover                                   : Yes
    18. Cover-Typ                               : Cover (front)
    19. Cover-MIME                            : image/jpeg
    21. Audio
    22. Format                                : FLAC
    23. Format/Info                           : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    24. Dauer                                   : 5min 50s
    25. Bitraten-Modus                        : variabel
    26. Bitrate                               : 2 471 Kbps
    27. Kanäle                               : 6 Kanäle
    28. Samplingrate                            : 44,1 KHz
    29. BitDepth/String                       : 16 bits
    30. Stream-Größe                          : 103 MiB (100%)
    31. verwendete Encoder-Bibliothek           : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)
    Best regards
    Helios

6. shorty1483
    • Premium Supporter

shorty1483 MP Donator

Cert. IT-Systems Manager
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I know, but that makes no sense for me with 5.1 Files, because my A/V just decodes DTS and AC3. But I use flac for my 2.0 Lossless collection.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!