Tagging of DTS Audio Files (1 Viewer)

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Referring to this thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...s-with-dts-sound-only-whitenoise.93753/page-5 , I still found it very annoying to always have problems with my DTS WAV files, so I put them in a mka container last year, but put them back to .dts Files last week.

Now to my last problem and the reason for my post: How do I get any tagging working with the .dts files?

Before anyone asks, I just can bitstream DTS and DD as 5.1, so flac or any other lossless format is no option for me atm.

After lots of reading and trying with different formats, I came to a totally confusing idea. Why not just renaming the proper .dts file as .mp3 and see what happens. This was the result:

dts3.jpg dts2.jpg dts1.jpg

In words:
    - in mediainfo the fileinfos are not readable anymore, just size -> No problem for me
    - when renamed to .mp3, MP3Tag and MPTagThat were able put the correct ID3 into the file, even embedded Cover
    - MePo and MediaPlayer play the file without problems
    - MePo recognized the fake-MP3 files and added the ID3 infos to its music-DB and used the embedded cover
    - Fanart-Handler and other Plugins updated it's DBs to like on the Pics above
    - Only small issue: In the album folder, the duration info for the fake-MP3 is wrong, but in PlayNow it's right

Please feel free to test this method with one of your .dts files if you have. According to my small tests, this method works also with 6-channel .wav (44,1 kHz and 48 kHz) and 44,1 kHz .dts. I'm very interested if this is a common method which works for everyone.

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The issue with DTS in WAV files is that you need to ensure the signal is untouched between the file and the output. If you are re-sampling to 48Khz then you don't really have the same input anyway so you might as well decode the DTS and encode to a different format.

The DTS files I have I just bitstream straight to my amp (I store them as DTS bitstreams extracted from DVD; so no WAV file) and I use WMPPlayer. Issue here is tagging... I do this manually straight into the database however this is not ideal.

Where I want to get with this is MKA files which can be tagged and can contain DTS bitstreams. Using this route the DTS is just sent to your amp as it is in a film but you get the benefit of tagging. If this does not work now, it will do soon ;)

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The issue with DTS in WAV files is that you need to ensure the signal is untouched between the file and the output. If you are re-sampling to 48Khz then you don't really have the same input anyway so you might as well decode the DTS and encode to a different format.

The DTS files I have I just bitstream straight to my amp (I store them as DTS bitstreams extracted from DVD; so no WAV file) and I use WMPPlayer. Issue here is tagging... I do this manually straight into the database however this is not ideal.

Where I want to get with this is MKA files which can be tagged and can contain DTS bitstreams. Using this route the DTS is just sent to your amp as it is in a film but you get the benefit of tagging. If this does not work now, it will do soon ;)

I also had the 44,1 KHz dts wavs in mka container, but after not hearing it for several months and updating LAV and FFdshow, I recognized the problem of no sound again, even now in mka containers :( But i backed up the untouched source files till I have more time to look on the codec problem. Do you use SPDIF or HDMI connection and whats your setup for dts bitstreaming if I may ask?

Could you just please try the renaming experiment with one of your 44,1 KHz files and see if it works? For me, this is a very practical way until we have mka tagging support in MePo.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How do I get any tagging working with the .dts files?

IMO the easiest way is to convert to .flac.

Code:
    Allgemein
    Vollständiger Name					  : F:\Test\Dire Straits (1998) - Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of (DTS 5.1 flac)\01 - Sultans Of Swing.flac
    Format								  : FLAC
    Format/Info							  : Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Dateigröße							  : 103 MiB
    Dauer									: 5min 50s
    Modus der Gesamtbitrate				  : variabel
    Gesamte Bitrate						  : 2 474 Kbps
    Album									: Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of
    Album/Künstler						  : Dire Straits / Dire Straits
    Teil									: 01/01
    Track-Name							  : Sultans Of Swing
    Track-Name/Position					  : 01/16
    Künstler								: Dire Straits
    Genre									: Rock
    Aufnahmedatum							: 1998
    Cover									: Yes
    Cover-Typ								: Cover (front)
    Cover-MIME							  : image/jpeg

Audio
    Bitraten-Modus						  : variabel
    Bitrate								  : 2 471 Kbps
    Kanäle								  : 6 Kanäle
    Samplingrate							: 44,1 KHz
    BitDepth/String						  : 16 bits
    Stream-Größe							: 103 MiB (100%)
    verwendete Encoder-Bibliothek			: libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

Best regards
    Helios

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How do I get any tagging working with the .dts files?

IMO the easiest way is to convert to .flac.

Code:
    Allgemein
    Vollständiger Name					  : F:\Test\Dire Straits (1998) - Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of (DTS 5.1 flac)\01 - Sultans Of Swing.flac
    Dateigröße							  : 103 MiB
    Modus der Gesamtbitrate				  : variabel
    Gesamte Bitrate						  : 2 474 Kbps
    Album									: Sultans of Swing - The Very Best of
    Album/Künstler						  : Dire Straits / Dire Straits
    Teil									: 01/01
    Track-Name							  : Sultans Of Swing
    Track-Name/Position					  : 01/16
    Künstler								: Dire Straits
    Genre									: Rock
    Aufnahmedatum							: 1998
    Cover									: Yes
    Cover-Typ								: Cover (front)
    Cover-MIME							  : image/jpeg

Audio
    Bitraten-Modus						  : variabel
    Bitrate								  : 2 471 Kbps
    Kanäle								  : 6 Kanäle
    Samplingrate							: 44,1 KHz
    BitDepth/String						  : 16 bits
    Stream-Größe							: 103 MiB (100%)
    verwendete Encoder-Bibliothek			: libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

Best regards
    Helios

I know, but that makes no sense for me with 5.1 Files, because my A/V just decodes DTS and AC3. But I use flac for my 2.0 Lossless collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom