TBS-6205 Card Problems (1 Viewer)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Yes MM I agree and after this new reply from TBS technical support after telling her I didn't think the file was relevant due to no CI slot I don't think TBS will be of much help!

"I am not sure about that. Generally speaking, if the card don't have ci function, the player will not to call that interface. but who know, just have a try.
wait for your news"

I was hoping for something more helpful from them other than a stab in the dark but I will at least try the card with the TBS viewer program to at least convince them that the problem is something other than MP

Thanks

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
To finalise this thread latest update is TBSViewer also crashed mimicking MP behaviour so no more questions to be asked about MP and card conflicts

Thanks to all

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Ok after some testing with TBS using some fault finding drivers did not provide any clues I took it upon myself to try a hardware change

Even though TBS consistently said that they did not have any motherboard compatibility issues I decided to move the card from the PCIe x1 slot (which they say will work) to the PCIe x16 slot. This fixed the problem and it has not crashed for a few weeks so I am confident that all is good

After letting TBS know what I did this is their reply

"our hardware engineer think it should has a relationship with your power supply. x16 slot get more large voltage than x1. Generally, X1 voltage is sufficient for our card, maybe different power supply that we haven't tested. indeed, we don't have a list that motherboard compatibility until now, because in the end we found all"motherboard compatibility" issues are systems or power problem"

So even though they said that there are no compatibilty problems they now say that "in the end we found all motherboard compatibility issues are systems or power problem"

Mmm maybe they could have pointed that out in the first place instead of wasting weeks on trying other things?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @macmr
    Thanks for the update.

Mmm maybe they could have pointed that out in the first place instead of wasting weeks on trying other things?
    Based on my past experience of TBS support (which has been excellent), if the suggestion/solution was obvious or easy from the information they had available to them, you can rest assured they would have suggested it up front. I've certainly never encountered a DVB-T/T2 tuner card - even a quad tuner card - that tested the limits or stability of the available PCIe power supply. Satellite (DVB-S/S2) tuners, sure; but DVB-T/T2, no way. Very very strange stuff.

Just out of interest...
    Have you checked the motherboard's BIOS/EFI for PCIe and/or PCIe power related settings?
    ...and what other PCIe devices are normally connected?

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Yes I agree that TBS were very helpful on the software front.

Just a bit annoyed about what the problem was even though I tried to point them in that direction earlier on in the fault finding only to have them keep telling me that they have no compatibilty issues. I guess I should have just tried it way earlier

The only thing I can see in the manual about the PCIe BIOS setting is a settting called "PCIe Clock Drive". It is set to 900mV but can be changed to a max of 1000mV. The only thing on the PCIe slots is the tuner as I'm using the onboard graphics. Forgot to mention that the PCIe x1 slot is off the PCH chip while the PCIe x16 is direct off the CPU so don't know if that makes / made any difference

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    "Our hardware engineer think it should has a relationship with your power supply. x16 slot get more large voltage than x1. Generally, X1 voltage is sufficient for our card, maybe different power supply that we haven't tested.
    My TBS 6284 card actually has a socket for an additional power supply, and an adapter cable for connecting the card to a disk-drive power cable was included in the package. Initially I did not bother with it, as I did not think that DVB-T/T2 tuners required more power than could be provided by the PCI-Express bus. But after encountering the "wake from sleep" problem, I did connect the additional power supply, but it did not make any difference. :(

I also tried installing the card in the 16x PCI-Express slot, but that did not make any difference either. :cry: On my system, the only slot that works correctly with the TBS 6284 is the 4x slot. The 1x slot and 16x slot both fail.

I have actually purchased the components to build a completely new HTPC. I chose a Gigabyte motherboard, as that is the one that QuietPC install in their pre-built systems that include TBS tuners, but it is not possible to predict whether the Gigabyte motherboard will work correctly with the TBS tuners on wake from sleep. Life is a lottery! :whistle:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    6284 and 6205 aren't really comparable in terms of compatibility or power. Different PCIe bridge/controller chips; completely different chip designs. One (6284 => NXP/Trident/Entropic SAA7160) [very!] complex fixed function, the other (6205 => Latice...) general purpose FPGA. Couldn't really get much more different in that realm of the chipset world.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    I guess with both my and CyberSimian's experiences that trying a TBS (or any) card in all available PCIe slots might just be what is needed to get things running correctly. As CyberSimian said life is a lottery and it appears also HTPC builds as well!

If nothing else this thread might provide some help to anyone else with a similar problem. After all I was pointed in this direction by someone somewhere saying that they got theirs running by doing what I did and going from the PCH to direct from CPU PCIe slot

Joutungwu

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ... after encountering the "wake from sleep" problem, ...
    Did you install the latest driver version 1.0.0.7 from 2013 with the TBS 6284 mounted on 1x PCIE slot?
    1. TBS6284 DVB-T2/T Windows Driver is upgraded to V1.0.0.7. which fixed the bug that devices can't not work after resuming from sleep, and fixed some other small bugs.
    http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you install the latest driver version 1.0.0.7 from 2013 with the TBS 6284 mounted on 1x PCIE slot?
    That driver version is the one that I am using at the moment, but it does not cure the wake-from-sleep problem. :(

My recollection is that the TBS Developers always maintained that the problem was caused by incorrect motherboard BIOS, and several users reported on the TBS forum that they obtained fixes from their various motherboard manufacturers and that did cure the problem. Unfortunately, I am using a proprietary Dell motherboard that was already out of warranty by the time that I discovered this problem. :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom