Tempest EPG Generator (1 Viewer)

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Hi everyone;

I wanted to notify that with the latest update and added configs, my app currently reached coverage of 60 countries with available +85K channels(with zip/postal code based dynamic channel list creation of 2 US providers, it reaches +150K channels).

Since it is a newly published tool and I am trying earn some reputation for it in several platfroms while explaining I am not trying hack anyone's bank account by giving free epg over their streaming devices, it will be highly appreciated to share their review/comments if there are some users. Thanks for your support

PN23

Portal Member
November 25, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This looks like a great tool, but I am feeling pretty dumb today!

PHP server stuff - no problem. I cant figure out how to generate a simple guide listing though so far.

I have downloaded the files for Sky UK and dropped them into siteconfigs\UK but that's as far as I have got with it - there are so many options when I open tempest.php!

Also, is there any way that Tempest can be used to pull in listings from external services such as digiguide.tv and schedulesdirect.org?

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Hi PN23;

Yes, it is a pretty good and may look like there are so many options but all of them user friendly and optional based on your needs.

First of all, you need to put files directly into "tempest_config/site_config" folder(not into another /UK folder). Then step-by-step;

Open tempest and choose "tempest configurator"
Choose "new" from drop down list
Name your new config (such as sky_uk etc.)
Name your xmltv file to be created as epg (such as guide.xml)
Set timespan value as how many days you want (0 means only today and increases in same order)
Set retry /timeout (as begining 2 for retry and 10 As timeout seconds)
Choose "channel configuration" tab
Now in drop down list, you should see sky uk config file. As soon as you choose it, all available channels will be loaded into "available channels" box
Choose channels you want (multiple selection is supported) and send to "selected channels" box with right arrow button
Click register to save lineup
Choose "channel indexer" tab if you want to change display names and xmltv-ids of channels (also if there is any duplicated xmltv-id, will be highlighted as red here)
Choose "save&exit" tab and save your configuration file
Now you are ready for grabbing. Just go to "Epg Generator" section and choose your prepared config file from drop down box and click "generate" button. Enjoy :)

Edit:

I missed your last question. Yes, Tempest may be used for any local or remote source and almost every possible format (even pdf).

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
You can find some screenshots. By the way, just for being sure, downloaded files(in your case sky.siteconfig and sky.channel.xml) shall be put into auto created folders (tempest_config/site_config) by Tempest on first run. This folder will appear near your tempest.php file. If you paste files in another place, they will not be visible inside Tempest. Hope to hear from you if all ok and working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-211524_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-211524_Chrome.jpg
    293.9 KB
  • Screenshot_20220209-211600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-211600_Chrome.jpg
    499.5 KB
  • Screenshot_20220209-211614_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-211614_Chrome.jpg
    338.8 KB
  • Screenshot_20220209-211930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-211930_Chrome.jpg
    539.1 KB
Last edited:

AdHu86

Portal Pro
January 14, 2022
Berlin
Home Country
England England
Thanks for sharing. I gave it a try, but it’s far too complicated for me. My expectation is to generate EPG easily with a few clicks, so I’ll stay with my EPGBuddy.

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Thanks for sharing. I gave it a try, but it’s far too complicated for me. My expectation is to generate EPG easily with a few clicks, so I’ll stay with my EPGBuddy.
Thanks for your review. Actually it is always abit complicated for the first run but later on(when you set your configuration) It is very simple and you can schedule all the operations with a simple command line so it is set only once and forget. Also you can access and manage/modify everything with your other devices such as your mobile.

Edit:
I wanted to clarify that "complicated" part a little bit more. I have never tried your suggested tool but make a look after your post. Seems like a good tool for using several grabbers such as wg+ etc. in one single place with gui and I am sure it is good. Tempest is a grabber with built-in scrapper maker/editor and tester in addition to its epg generator. For making scrappers, it is supporting upto 10 consecutive urls which there is no other grabber in the world can do this more than 2 urls without external tool/library usage. So of course these kind of things are not simple but also they dont have to bother any ordinary user who only wants to receive epg for selected channels. In your case, you just need to use "Tempest Configurator" to select your channels and timespan for your epg file and "Channel Generator" if you notice websource change on channel number/ids etc to update in 1 click. For epg generation, you dont have to use your browser or even have to open any file. You may prepare a bat file as

php /file/path/of/tempest.php engine=Generate tempconfig=nameofyourcreated.config.xml

And schedule its operation in windows. It will silently run on each interval and update your epg file.

Last edited:

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Anyway, i am still waiting for PN23's feedback. I will not lose him :)

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
This looks like a great tool, but I am feeling pretty dumb today!

PHP server stuff - no problem. I cant figure out how to generate a simple guide listing though so far.

I have downloaded the files for Sky UK and dropped them into siteconfigs\UK but that's as far as I have got with it - there are so many options when I open tempest.php!

Also, is there any way that Tempest can be used to pull in listings from external services such as digiguide.tv and schedulesdirect.org?
Hi PN23;

I have updated "how to use" file with some photos for a better explanation. I hope you have already made it run but if needed, you can find the link below;

PN23

Portal Member
November 25, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Anyway, i am still waiting for PN23's feedback. I will not lose him :)
Hi Kvanc,

Thanks for the assist. I have just tried this now and can see the basic if how it works.

I can create and save a new config file now but only if it has a handful of channels. Anything more than that and I receive a "The requested URL was not found on this server" message.

If I click the back button in the browser, this takes me back to the start, and sometimes it has saved the new config, other times it has not.

For the config containing just a few channels, that works fine and can generate an XML.

I am currently using WAMP for a quick and dirty test running PHP 7.4.26.

I have also just tried this with PHP 8.0.13 with the same result.

Last edited:

kvanc

Portal Member
February 4, 2022
Home Country
Turkey Turkey
Hi Kvanc,

Thanks for the assist. I have just tried this now and can see the basic if how it works.

I can create and save a new config file now but only if it has a handful of channels. Anything more than that and I receive a "The requested URL was not found on this server" message.

If I click the back button in the browser, this takes me back to the start, and sometimes it has saved the new config, other times it has not.

For the config containing just a few channels, that works fine and can generate an XML.

I am currently using WAMP for a quick and dirty test running PHP 7.4.26.

I have also just tried this with PHP 8.0.13 with the same result.
Hi PN23;

I am developing this app for 2,5 years and actively using for myself for 2 years both on windows(php development server) and debian nginx with my raspberry pis. I have never ever experienced such error as you mentioned. It seems like a wamp server's error but hard to guess without seeing. If you have error logs, Could you please share? Also, how you are calling Tempest ( as url) from wamp and are you able to run any other script? I have used wamp very early stage of development and changed it when I noticed some strange behaviour about its very late working garbage collectors. I can able to save 5000 channels with one click on my rpi0w which is the lowest possible hardware you can get :) I searched in google and found lots "wamp/url not found on server" of thread which seems all solved with different thing but this one is very strange about keeping an index file in document root

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom