Test application: For "lightning fast thumbnail creation" (2 Viewers)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ... I can’t say I'm very pleased by the speed of thumbs creation. Ilts veeeeeery slow compared to XP/Vista's own engine...

Not true at all - using the same useless resolution and low quality and creating only one thumb MP's method is almost equally fast..

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    Useless? If I select the biggest thumbs in Vista (looks good enough for me on my 42” LCD…), deleting the thumbs.db, they are "back" instantly. If I select highest thumbs quality in MP, deleting the thumbs cache and open the same directory, it takes "ages" before I have any thumbs ready for viewing in MP. And when the tumbs are created, the cpu usage are high as 80-90% on a dual-core 3ghz. And a folder with 30 pictures takes about 1 minute before MP is finished generating the thumbs...

But maybe I misunderstood something here?! Could it be that you are ref to this new routine of creating thumbs in this thread which is not implemented in the svn yet? If so, you may be right. :) Because that was my request from the beginning, when will it be ready for "everyone"?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It will never "be ready for everyone" since many cameras (often more expensive ones) do not even include exif thumbs. Furthermore many powerusers who complain about that are using RAW formats or manage other pictures than digital photographs as well (Of course not including thumbs either).

So it will always be just an "extra" option.

Usability question: would a scan like you need for Music shares help if it creates all thumbs at once? Or do you add serveral hundred of pictures per day?

BarrieSmith

Portal Member
    October 9, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When will this functionality be included in MP?

I have thousands on photos on my PC covering several years, so this functionality would be very useful. Reading the thread it seems as though we are in a new functionality freeze period. When will be the next period to include new things such as this?

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    The main problem with the functionality for the "My pictures" is the speed and flexibility. The idea of doing thumbs in separate folders isn't very flexible when dealing with moving, deleting and renaming folder. If deleting a picture folder, the caching of that folder would persist and you can imagine how big this cache folder would be in a couple of years…

Why is it so hard to implement the “Microsoft solution”? And if so, why is the thumb creation process very slow? I am an IT-manager in a newspaper and dealing with pictures is one of the main processes in our branch. One application we use in our newspaper that are doing picture caching like MP, is a software called “Fotostation” from Fotoware. This software creates thumbs even faster than the native OS solution from Microsoft. But deleting, renaming and moving would make a lot of “ghost” thumbs even with this software as far as I now. Haven’t actually tested this with the latest version of the software… but the speed is more than good enough.

When It comes to usability of having a “thumb creation” button on a higher level than having to open each folder separately, I agree that it would be helpful when dealing with thousands of pictures like now when I have installed a new HTPC. But when dealing with new pictures from memory cards and such, the thumb creation waiting time is a big pain. Often I’m just gonna have quick look at the pictures before I categorize them and move them out of the mem card and in to my picture hierarchy. But that’s how I do things… :)

KRL

stonex

March 19, 2008
    Where is this 'magical' fix to allow the thumbnails to be created lightening fast! I checked this entire post and can't find any download link to help me with this!

HELP!!!

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It has never been done... it should be included in MediaPortal core, but it's not... i don't know the reason, but i think that developers team are very busy...

regards,

lkuech

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2007
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi.

the main reason is the already very long feature freeze. So no chance for new features right now.
    After the release of MP 1.0 the main forces will concentrate on MP II (which has this feature already included).

CU
    Lars

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom