Testing out SVN's and now it won't look in subfolders.... (1 Viewer)

cold_realms

Portal Member
March 23, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Was testing the latest SVN of both media portal and MyTV-Series and ran into a problem, my existing database failed to load (started with just latest SVN of media portal - Installed svn of MyTV-Series and discovered this new issue) it would throw out an error about failing to comit.. anyway what is happening now is the plug-in will not locate any files in sub-directories.

I removed the non-working DB so the plugin would recreate it in order to fix the failed db.Now the issue is I can parse files when I drill down to the folder where the files are but not if I am even one folder up? I used to be able to and still can from my actual HTPC running the stable releases but not on my test machine....

Problem example
Z:\CSI Miami ->

4/26/2007 12:26:37 AM - Searching for all supported videos files within Z:\CSI Miami and it's subfolders.
4/26/2007 12:26:37 AM - Found 0 supported video files.
4/26/2007 12:26:37 AM - ParseLocal starting, processing 0 files...
4/26/2007 12:26:37 AM - ParseLocal finished..
4/26/2007 12:26:37 AM - Parsing test completed

Z:\CSI Miami\Season 1\ ->

4/26/2007 12:28:06 AM - Searching for all supported videos files within Z:\CSI Miami\Season 1 and it's subfolders.
4/26/2007 12:28:06 AM - Found 24 supported video files.
4/26/2007 12:28:06 AM - ParseLocal starting, processing 24 files...
4/26/2007 12:28:06 AM - ParseLocal finished..
4/26/2007 12:28:06 AM - Parsing test completed

Any ideas? Known bug? Or is it just me?

cold_realms

Portal Member
March 23, 2007
Home Country
None else having this issue? I tried it again with all the latest SVN's and still the same problem.

In the stable version i can simply list my T:/ drive and it will scan happily away. With the SVN it finds no files at all. Is there a setting in the SVN to enable subfolder lookup? I have 2144 files and the slowdown listed in another thread is horribly bad and would really like to use the SVN as it fixes that. I am also hoping to get this resolved before the stable versions get this bug.

cold_realms

Portal Member
March 23, 2007
Home Country
unfortunatly that is not only impractical but simply does not work. I did some more testing with all the latest SVN's the results are thus:

t:\ --->No files found
t:\3rd rock from the sun --->No Files Found
t:\3rd rock from the sun\season 1\ --->Files found!

So it will not traverse folders. I believe I have an idea of why. For organization and ease of upgrades (not to mention simple navigation) I use mounted volumes as folders on my server. Windows server 2000 and 2003 r2 sp2 have an annoying habit of listing to other programs the " System Volume Information" folder of each mounted volume but not allowing access to them. Other programs in the past have had issues where the error detection logic would crap out if there was a folder they could not access (a simple fix I am told by all the devs I have run into problems with. I have emailed MS techs and they say it is by design that the folder is listed so there is nothing to do on that end. I am not sure why the old version would be ok with my structure and the new one would not.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are correct, it is the hidden System Volume Information folder causing you issues and not the SVN version (unless logic has changed that I am not aware of).

I have seen this issue and the cause is always network / folder access.
    If when doing a scan in MP or when parsing files in the setup it gets to a DIR or file which it cannot read, then it stops and all TV series is then greyed out as off-line, or in your case as you have no DB created it simply stops.

I too run everything from a windows 2003 server, and I also used to used to use mount mounts - folder to drive.

The issue here is the folder will always exist, so MP will try to scan it, but if for whatever reason the user your PC is logged in with cannot see the files, it all stops.

I now use DFS juntion points on the windows 2003 server as this gives me the flexibility to move series folders around whilst presenting the same structure to the clients so no DB re-build is required; also no System Volume Information it presented and I can have all my series appear as if they are in the same fodler.

I also start MP from a batch file that first mounts the MEDIA drive, then checks it can see various test series, then starts MP. In this way I do not get the anoying issue of having to re-scan the series. Gives me a chance to investigate the issue first.

Here is the batch file if anyone is interested

@echo off
    net use m: \\server1\media /user:server1\XiVo XiVo
    If NOT EXIST "M:\series\24\Season_1" GOTO StopError
    If NOT EXIST "M:\series\CSI\Season_1" GOTO StopError
    If NOT EXIST "M:\series\Stargate Atlantis\Season_3" GOTO StopError
    goto runMP

:runMP
    START "GO" "C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe" Goto END
    goto END

:stopError
    echo ****************************************************
    echo * Problem with M: drive, not starting Media Portal *
    echo ****************************************************
    pause

:END

Perhaps we should raise a feature request to make the scanning a bit more tolerant?

cold_realms

Portal Member
    March 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Very detailed, and I thank you.. . but, I can only stand 1 major server alteration per year and the new Home server is what i will be spending my emotional cash on.

The .95a version does not have any issues so something was altered in the SVN that I hope will be altered back.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    This is interesting. Yes, the scanning logic was changed several SVN versions back (for performance) and that is why it is failing now.

Easiest would be just to change it back, but I don't really wanna do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom