Text to Speech.......Make MediaPortal Talk (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yeah my XP home has speech, and one voice. It sucks but will work for now.

Your code snippet does look simple. Maybe as a first test I will directly put it into the caller id plugin to see how it works. Maybe frodo will smile on it and allow it in the core :)

Thanks!

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
I put that code right into the caller id plugin and it works as long as I'm just sitting on a menu. If there is audio playing (as in the TV is on) I don't hear the speech. Ideally I suppose you'd want it to mute the TV audio, have it talk, then restore the audio (at least for this plugin). Good start for this. I will play around with it this weekend a little and see if I can get it to play nice with the TV audio.

Helza

Portal Pro
April 29, 2004
It would be fun to be updated whenever the MP is done recording a show while watching something else.. :)

AllenConquest

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
London, UK
I've not looked at this plugin, but it strikes me that you should be able to simply implement something that subscribes to MP messages and translates them into speech. That way you could get MP to say something whenever say a TV channel is changed, or a recording starts or stops.

The possiblities are endless :wink:

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
Easily annoying

The last two posts, though good ideas, show how something like this could go past the point of being helpful and end up being terrinbly annoying for some people. Take me for example, I would like it to speak to me and tell me who is calling on the phone (particularly if I'm not watching the TV, but maybe have the radio playing), and perhaps alarms. But I doubt I would want it to interrupt my watching a movie to tell me some standard MP event has completed. At this point, it would have to be configurable on a event by event basis and the project just grew in size a lot :)

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
I know this thread is a bit stale, but voice control for MP sounds very cool. If anyone is still interested there is a nice voice control freeware here. It allows you to write scripts to do some fairly complicated stuff (Check the forum for some sample scripts). I have played around with it and it works pretty good.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there is a voice control plug in on the Plug in page.
    It uses the MS voice recognition system and some VBA Excell scripts to do this. The voice control worked really well but the only issue I had was that the script seemed to only work when Excell had focus. I may have been doing something wrong though, so if anyone has had luck with it, let me know.

Also, Chili, this thread was about making MP speak, not making it listen ;-)
    (But thanks for the link)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom