Text to Speech.......Make MediaPortal Talk (1 Viewer)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Another use would be to add support for the visually impaired (e.g. Blind).

There could be an option in the Settings that tells MP to Speak out all currently selected item labels (so if you select a button it will tell you the button text, if you select an item in the facade View(s) it will say it's text).

You would get a great Audio Browser for example.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    mbuzina said:
    Hi,

Another use would be to add support for the visually impaired (e.g. Blind).

Not to be insensitive but why would someone who is blind (or visually impaired) watch TV in the first place? I don;t know anyone who is blind so I don't know if I am asking a stupid question. Just trying to better understand.

Please don't take this post in the wrong way.

Mike

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mzemina said:
    Not to be insensitive but why would someone who is blind (or visually impaired) watch TV in the first place?

No offense, esp. since I enjoy 100% eye-sight :wink:

But many blind people "whatch" TV by just listening. Additionally there are special audiotracks on some movies (at least sometimes on German TV) where the required visual is explained along with the normal sound.

And, as chili pointed out, MP does not only do TV. Hey, I just thought of another use, with this speech output you can select music to listen to without having to turn on the TV. :D

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Not to be insensitive but why would someone who is blind (or visually impaired) watch TV in the first place

They can always listen to it... Just like people used to listen to radio-adventures. Also, many visually impaired (yuo are not nescerally blind when you are impaired) watch TV. Depending one their impairement, very big or very small TV's I can image MP being very helpfull for some impairments, for expample, because it can state in big fonts what channel you are viewing and wat's on it.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    very nice clodo. btw i got your pm yesterday on irc but was afk at that time and when you got back you were gone already. sorry.

since your plugging right in there, how about telling the user the date and or time when starting mp? configurable? also, how about telling the time every full hour if nothing is playing. like: "It is now 5 pm. Upcoming recordings: The simpsons at 7pm on FOX. Have a nice day." Make it as configurable as possible.

maybe a hotkey that can trigger this message from anywhere in the program at the press of a button. preferably while lowering currently playing sounds.

anyways, just getting excited about this again.

Inker

Clodo

Portal Pro
    July 8, 2005
    Milan, Italy
    Ok, but speech.mps in MyScript are only a little example, that anyone can change by press CTRL+S in MP, if you now a little-bit of C# code, you can do anything and shared the script with other people, without need the MP sources or compiler.

So, in the next release i try to improve this script, adding some speaking information when user press a key, but i don't know how to retrieve this kind of information in MP code... anyone can help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom