That's enough. (1 Viewer)

doomi

Portal Member
January 6, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
is it me or has anyone else noticed that lately there has been a lot of posts like this
you look at the dates they joined and its like last week, the only posts they do are the ones they rant in
they never post logs.
i'm beginning to think its a a few people just out to bag MP.
For the vast majority of us MP works, My wife loves it, my 2 kids with it in there rooms love it (6 and 9yrs old)
most of the problems these people have normally is that they run other crap on there machines and then blame MP for not running
Users which have MP working, usually do not post and tell us that everything is working fine.
It is always those which have troubles and "fail" to get things working which then tend to "explode" in the forums because they need a valve.

MediaPortal requires quite a bit of configuration to get it to do what it is supposed to do.
After 3+ years of using and working on MP i can tell that there are a few misstakes new users make:
  • right after installation, many community plugins and skins get installed
  • windows is messed up with codec packs and other stuff
  • drivers are not up to date
  • system does not meet the requirements

If you install MP on a PC where all software/drivers are up to date and only required codecs are installed.
Then there should be no issues at all.
But if you try to run (install plugins/skins) before you get MP to walk, then you will encounter problems.

I do not say that commuity plugins and skins are totally bugged. But a clean installation should always be done without them first. Only that way you can be sure about "what" is failing. :)

The line I bolded is a solid point. I had MediaPortal up and running in about five minutes. It worked great from the beginning. I've also noticed that anytime I have an issue with it it's almost always because I can't leave well enough alone and am always tinkering with something. But, then again... to me that is the beauty of open source.

Wolen

Portal Pro
May 27, 2008
Home Country
I'll admit there's a bit of a learning curve with MP, I was totally lost when I first installed it, but after going through it I've learned a lot on how to set it up and get it running. Plus, just looking over the forums sure has helped me. Looking through the forums I see people doing over and beyond what any commercial media center can do. Really amazing software. My problems now are that I keep tweaking it and get myself into trouble, nothing to do with the software!
All I can say is MP is much more versatile than Media Center can ever be, and I know that the developers are working to make it better, so keep up the good work!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can I just add to this, having tried both MCE TV pack 2008 which worked well, just not my idea of layout for Movies etc, even the the add on Movie plugin which only supports DVD format.
    Over the weekend tried Windows 7, which had major problems with my Hauppauge T500 tuner, in it only recognised one tuner unless I set it up manually and then insisted when i put in my postcode, that I do not live in the North West of England but Southern England, so my epg data was wrong or even non existant on a few channels, so this did not last 24hrs.

So if you want a fully working htpc software, then I do not consider there is one solution for all, you have to try a few to see what works for you, good thing is, MP does not break the bank :)

Regards

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    If people would only have a look at the hard / software requirements first before running head over heals to install the program, they most likely would have a much better MP experience. Also, the more crap you have on your PC, the more problems you will run in to. Don't always blame MP for your bad experience, start looking at you self especially what you have done or did not do.

i'm one of those people with perfect running MP machines, I've got 6 of them and no issues to mention. I'f I re-install or upgrade, it takes me 20 minutes to have MP fully installed and configured (done it many times).

@disappointing:
    Go and pay the $$ for comercial software. I've got serious doubts that you will find something to your likings. There will be another flame post on some other forum soon.
    Bye bye

kellizer2

Portal Member
    December 3, 2006
    I've just bit the bullet & completely upgraded my Media server computer - Alias - No further issues with Mediaportal with the new hardware - and i promise, i have tried my hardest to break it - without luck; how can this be?

Can someone help - how can i get this damm software to break or crash; no rouge software allowed, just let me know how!!

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I agree with most of you, that we can live without whiners. But he has a point (just one!) in web-streams being visible in the TV-Server config tool but not working (will they ever?). I have read a few threads about that...should be easy to remove from the config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom