...The Dreaded..."No Free Tuner"...strikes again. (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just when I thought everything was fine....great for some weeks now...get the No Free Tuner Message.
Unable to export logs...and get the following error:

upload_2014-7-7_12-32-57.png

Is there some way of fixing this...and then hopefully KEEPING it fixed....by some kind of maintenance...?

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In your Mediaportal Installation Directory you can found a Log Folder. Please Zip it and Upload it here.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Obviously a Windows 8 (8.1) installation. Microsoft has introduced more "discipline" regarding the user privileges. Even Windows systems don't change on their own, so the question now is: What did you do?

Are you running Win as a standard user or an admin?
    Did you ensure that MePo is not started under a different user context than the one you are logged in?

What you may want to do is try starting MePo with admin rights by ticking the respective option in the desktop icon's properties. If it now runs, close MePo and try again without setting it to Admin. Sometimes this is enough to set the privileges for the paths.
    Next thing to try is to change the user to administrator. Again, if it now works you have narrowed down the reason. I would then assume that you installed the software not for ALL users but an admin only and now try to run it as a different user with non-admin privileges only.

You can fix all this by setting access right to the MePo folders in C.\User\AppData... - or maybe easier - uninstall and reinstall with correct user contexts.

regards.
    HTPC_Sourcer

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Thanks for this!!!

Am running Windows as Administrator.

Tried Running MePo as administrator...and TV service is lost.....

You can fix all this by setting access right to the MePo folders in C.\User\AppData

.....how do I do this please!!?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Running as Administrator and no rights to a folder? Your MePo installation looks pretty much messed up!

I would suggest that you do a complete uninstall, including the removal of any database, folder, etc. and then start from scratch - including running the installer with explicit admin rights.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    OK....so reinstalled...and all is now working!:)
    HOWEVER.....did not set any rights (admin or otherwise) during installation process... so if there is an issue here...I assume it is just a matter of time before a problem re-occurs:(

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Rights don't change like this. What you experience is imho the fact that the software is executed under different user contexts. Executing a program on an admin account with and without explicit administrator privileges is not nessecarily the same and can lead to different results. However, once run with full admin privileges should set access rights to any file or folder.

Just to be clear: an Admin account does not mean that you have full rights to everything out of the box. It just means that you can get yourself rights if required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom