The Grand Home Media Project + MP w. Win2003/2008 (1 Viewer)

Maedhros

Portal Pro
December 14, 2005
Gdansk, Poland
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi guys,

I have been living with my current setup with a HTPC, simple hardware and a relatively simple MP install. However, now we have a big house, I have my own company, and in general my requirements for a new media infrastructure has risen to the skies I guess.... So I might need a bit of help on this one ;-)

First off... Our bedroom and my office are right next to each other. We have the HTPC in the bedroom for now. My plan is to make MP more "home-wide".

I am in the process of purchasing my new mediaserver (also going to take care of other things):
CPU: Core2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHz LGA775 1333MHz
Drives: 4 x WD Caviar GP-16 1TB SerialATA/300 7200 rpm 16MB cache (WD10EACS)
Case: Thermaltake Armor (VA8003SWA)
RAM: 2x2GB PC 5300/6400 RAM (probably Corsair XMS2)
PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625W EMD625AWT

... + a few Noctua NF-S12 800 and a Scythe Ninja (since the ThermalRight HR-01 Plus is not available to me yet).

... + in a couple of months a DVB-C and a DVB-S2 card.

The Setup:
The Mediaserver will be set up in the office. The plan is to use it as both Mediaserver AND Mediacenter. I am planning to install Win2003 or Win2008 on it. I am going to configure and manage the server through RDP on terminal services. The Server has approx. 5-7 meters to the TV and Stereo depending on how I drill the wall.

My questions are:
How does MP run on Windows Server?
Are there any problems with Windows Server and eg. codecs, DirectX, etc...?
I am also using my mediacenter to play on emulators and PC games (eg. FIFA08)... does anyone have experience with this on Windows Server?
Is it easy to set up eg. a VFD interface in the other room? If so, recommendations?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make an elegant DVD-bay in the other room connected to the server? USB? eSata?

Does anyone know of DVI cables with detachable endings? ... for the sake of not tearing down the wall completely ;-)

If anyone have suggestions for the ultimate media-home, please feel free to air it here :)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    strange, your location and your country does not match.

Anyway, I have not tried it, but based of my knowledge on W2003 svr, you should have NO problems using it.
    same goes for games. (just install DX9)

Regarding detachable DVI, never heard about it, you'll need to cut & solder i back together.

VFD? - is thee any useful way to use it anyway ? - I personally do not think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom