The old rendering device error. (1 Viewer)

LabRatt

Portal Member
December 5, 2005
Right, I love MediaPortal - it's great work, better than some commercial software I've seen, and works beautifully once it's set up right, but I'm having one major problem with it now. I miss recordings.

The problem is that, since installing PVR Scheduler and finally figuring out exactly how to use it, I'm not so fussy about whether I leave MP running or not. Usually that's not a problem, but I run it on my main machine, not an HTPC. If I've locked the machine, or connected remotely from work, then when MP starts it pops up this message:

The reference rendering device was selected, but your
computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device
installed. Install the DirectX SDK to get the full
reference device

It's okay, I know what causes it, I know why, and I don't care. I'm not complaining that it happens, my objection is that MP won't do anything until I click OK. I arrive home after a day at work, or worse still after a weekend away, and find that I can't watch everything I've recorded because MP is waiting for me to click this damn button! I can handle having to close and reopen to get a display, that's no hardship, but the problem is that there's nothing to display.

Is there any way I can switch this message off? A checkbox on the dialog saying "Yes, I know, don't tell me again" would probably be a good idea, but is there any entry I can make in a config file, tweak in the registry, etc. that'll make it go away? Or, if I take the time to download and install the SDK, will that prevent the message while letting me continue to use accelerated rendering when I actually want to watch something?

I did spot a yes/no dialog somewhere in the program that had the same negative effect, but after swearing a little I put it out of my mind.

LabRatt

Portal Member
December 5, 2005
Well, I can confirm that MP will start up without the message with the SDK installed, and that PVR Scheduler can start a recording with the PC locked. The quality and reliability of said recording are yet to be checked.

There has to be a better way than this though - if the SDK was a couple of meg then fair enough, but it's a 219 meg download!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom