the preview 1.7 is really slow for me. (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But isn’t this a huge security risk all in all.
    To believe in "Security" due to cheap software tools like MSE is the biggest risk of all. Those tools don't add extra "security" only extra load and work to the PC they are running. A proper Hardware Firewall (available in nearly every Router, even the cheapest one but you need to activate it) is a million times more effective than any of the "Security Tools" you can ever run on your PC. This and "using the grey mass between your ears" is all you'll ever need...
    I never use any AV software or software firewalls and never had any Virus or something like that my whole life. But as more as people trust in those "security" tools as more problems they got. If a hacker wants to attack your PC and he's knocking on your "Firewall-" called thingie running on your PC then it's way too late as he already infiltrates your system. If you catch a virus this normally won't be recognised by AV programs as the viruses are new every day and no piece of software can keep up to date with this. The few "not false" positives the AV soft is delivering are from poor, old or dead and buried viruses.
    Comparing the "benefits" and the extra work those tools deliver, they all are no way worth the bytes they are made of. Those security tools are useful only for the people who sell them...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To believe in "Security" due to cheap software tools like MSE is the biggest risk of all. Those tools don't add extra "security" only extra load and work to the PC they are running. A proper Hardware Firewall (available in nearly every Router, even the cheapest one but you need to activate it) is a million times more effective than any of the "Security Tools" you can ever run on your PC.
    What rubbish....
    A hardware firewall is only going to stop unsolicited traffic so given that most malware is from user downloads, USB sticks, infected web sites... There is absolutely nothing a hardware firewall can do about these.

I am fascinated as to why you think a hardware firewall is comparable (or in fact better) than AV software.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    .No. A Hardware Firewall is better than a Software Firewall. AV Soft is crap and only do damage to the system,
    But MSE is not a firewall and also a hardware firewall is almost always only inbound where as a software firewall is both.

Probably best you do some research before you make recommendations to others. http://www.pcworld.com/article/117557/article.html is a simple overview.

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yeah how can you be sertan you dont have virus if you dont have an anti virus program? Virus dont skrew up your computer. They probably make it work better. And use it for spam and such.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, at the risk of sounding like a redneck I'll put my hand up and say I still run XP... and I don't use any kind of security software. Have run this way for years. :p

I understand what you are saying. But isn’t this a huge security risk all in all. That you can’t run MP without messing up security. Is there something that is bad in the program that does this? Something that can be fixed?
    No, I don't think it is a huge security risk to create an exception for one directory with known contents. My personal philosophy is if you don't trust the software you install then you shouldn't install it in the first place. In other words, if you can't trust that MP is only using that directory for logging and don't want to create an exception then you might need to consider other options.

Anyhow, I'm not here to discuss this further than to point to something that may help:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...fter-update-to-1-6.123865/page-5#post-1075354

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom