The visualisation bug (1 Viewer)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
It seems its desktop resolution specific, i have just tried and when i run my desktop at 800x600 i have no problems exiting fullscreen visualisations, however as soon as i quit and change it back to 1600x1200 i have the same problem again, just letting you know what i have found see if anyone else can resolve the problem this way too

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I'm guessing your cpu is fully occupied when running visualizations at 1600. So then it doesnt have time to react to your keypresses anymore.

I'm unsure if there is anything that can be done really, both from your point of view as well as from a programming point of view.

Inker

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    Inker said:
    I'm unsure if there is anything that can be done really, both from your point of view as well as from a programming point of view.

I have the same problem, and that's only at 1024x768. If I change desktop resolution to 800x600, CPU usage is not quite at 100%, and I'm able to exit. At 1024x768, my repeated attempts to exit the fullscreen vis are ignored.

I think there might be something that can be done, programmatically. If it were possible, LOWER the screen resolution on execution of fullscreen vis and RAISE the resolution on exit of fullscreen vis. For example, hit 'x' for fullscreen vis, res is changed from 1024x768 to 800x600, run the fullscreen vis. Hit 'x' again to exit, exit the fullscreen vis, res is changed back to 1024x768.

devs: Wouldn't this be possible? I think it's a big enough problem for a large number of us (whose hardware would certainly fit into the minimum requirements for MP) that the above suggestion should be looked into.

(AMD Athlon 64 2800+ · 1GB DDR400 · GIGABYTE GeForce FX5200)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    yes its kind of strange i have tried it at 1024x768 as well and there is a slight delay in getting out of fullscreen where as 800x600 its instant, and yes in MP on fullscreen the cpu is reading around 99-100 CPU usage. However i dont' recall see windows media player fullscreen with the same kind of usage, little strange.

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    NightmareRambo77 said:
    i have tried it at 1024x768 as well and there is a slight delay in getting out of fullscreen

I have NO chance of getting out of fullscreen at 1024x768, except with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

NightmareRambo77 said:
    in MP on fullscreen the cpu is reading around 99-100 CPU usage.

Same here.

NightmareRambo77 said:
    i dont' recall see windows media player fullscreen with the same kind of usage, little strange.

Extremely strange. Is it that WMP lowers the screen resolution before running fullscreen vis?

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    not sure , it looks pretty similar in quality the thing is the visualisation i'm running is goom and it is set to run at 800x600 res , and it still does it. Its really odd cause its not as tho its massive graphics, and my CPU is pretty high in terms of the minimum specs, the computer is a Athlon 64 - 3500, 2gig of ram and 256mb 6800GT. Its very strange indeed, love to be able to fix this one someday, very frustrating

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    just out of curiousity if you put your max fps in the settings of MP to 100 , when its just sitting there is 100 max , however if you say play a dvd externally and have it sitting on top of the MP the fps drop back down again , if you then click on MP window again and leave powerdvd running on screen still the FPS are back to 100 again , is this normal or is it just my machine?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    NightmareRambo77 said:
    just out of curiousity if you put your max fps in the settings of MP to 100 , when its just sitting there is 100 max , however if you say play a dvd externally and have it sitting on top of the MP the fps drop back down again , if you then click on MP window again and leave powerdvd running on screen still the FPS are back to 100 again , is this normal or is it just my machine?
    AFAIK, this is normal. I see it here too, on my system. I believe it just matches the fps with the source material you're displaying. For me, this means 25fps for TV, DVD and (most) movies... ;)

EDIT: AFAIK this issue is related to the same behaviour.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom