Thetvdb.com needs your help (1 Viewer)

szsori

Portal Member
October 4, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The new hosting is the first step to allowing fan art. I'm still concerned about the copyright aspects of it, but the bandwidth aspects require a couple things: 1) we need to get mirroring set up properly. 2) we need to get a few additional mirrors running. and 3) we need to add the code to the site, which is really not that much (it's just an additional banner type.. about 15 minutes of work).

piranha... hostmonster has been highly recommended by a number of friends in the web design business. It receives the highest customer service ratings pretty much every year. I'm confident in their hosting service, their plans include all of the things we need (3TB transfer/month, 300GB storage, mysql, php5, perl, and cron), and their TOS doesn't seem to affect us directly. The only parts of their TOS (http://helpdesk.hostmonster.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=111) that worry me in any way are:
Information used to break, copyright, violate the trademark of or to destroy others property or information.
This could apply to some of the banners, but is really gray area. We can always set up the mirroring to store the banners only on the mirrors, but I honestly don't think that would be necessary since they're fan art and most of the time significantly change the original art. If they violate copyright they really shouldn't be on my server, either, to be completely honest.

Engaging in any activity that, in Hostmonster.com's sole and absolute discretion, disrupts, interferes with or is harmful to (or threatens to disrupt, interfere with, or be harmful to) the Services, Hostmonster.com's business, operations, reputation, goodwill, customers and/or customer relations, or the ability of Hostmonster.com's customers to effectively use the Services is prohibited.​
This could apply only if we put a huge CPU or bandwidth strain on them. I don't see that happening, since my dual T1 server has been handling it fine in addition to running a ton of extra sites and services.

In any case, the mirroring will make it so that if we do face issues, it shouldn't affect anyone significantly. People would still be able to get their updates while we switch back to my server or find a user's server that we could use. Overall it's in our best interests to do this.

Thanks so much to everyone that donated. We do have enough now to get up and running on hostmonster, so I'll be doing that within the next few days. It should be a pretty seamless transition.

pafro1

Portal Member
March 6, 2007
Edit- Hopefully the new servers will be up soon and everything back to normal. Maybe we need a donate button linked into the config for this plugin? (Or is it already there and i've missed it all these times?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom