Thinking about building a HTPC, my current setup (1 Viewer)

smitty_srs

November 25, 2005
Southern Ohio
Hey all,
I've been searching this site and a couple others trying to gain some knowledge. I just have a couple questions. Here's my current setup.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512 MB PC2700 (333 MHz)
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB with s-video and DVI out
Abit NF7-s mobo with digital optical out
60GB IBM 7200RPM IDE h/d
250GB Seagate 7200RPM SATA 100 h/d

This is my main PC so I would like to use it and watch tv at the same time. I also have a laptop, though, so this is not a requirement.

31" TV with s-video in
Kenwood 5.1 Surround Sound System
Dish Network

I plan on using Media Portal.

The whole reason I'm thinking about setting up my own HTPC is a friend's modded XBOX that can stream video and audio from either the XBOX or a PC. So I thought wouldn't be cool if I could do that plus have DVR capabilities?

Mainly I plan to just stream vids and music from my PC to my existing audio/video setup, and record some TV programs.

So, on to my questions......

I've decided on either the Hauppauge PVR 350 or 500. Which do you suggest? If neither, then what?

Also, would I use the 9800pro's s-vid output or the PVR's? Same with the mobo's digital optical out vs the pvr's? Pros/cons?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Smitty

ps - Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum couldn't decide to put it here or in the Hardware Selection forum

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    You say you want to stream things, is this to or from the MP box? MP cant yet stream media...

Mediaportal also needs to be the primary monitor so youll also have to set that up if you want to use 2 monitors at the same time (2 desktops).

If you want a single tuner go with a PVR-150MCE (350 costs more and you cant use the video out with MP as it doesnt support DX). For dual tuner go with the PVR-500.

Use the 9800 pro's video out and the mboard's digital out (SS Board so you can use the DDL encoder). The PVR cards dont have sound on them.

Rest of the system looks fine for MP.

smitty_srs

November 25, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Callifo said:
    You say you want to stream things, is this to or from the MP box? MP cant yet stream media...

Maybe I wasn't using the term "stream" properly. Won't MP play vids and music I have on my pc on my TV?

Callifo said:
    If you want a single tuner go with a PVR-150MCE (350 costs more and you cant use the video out with MP as it doesnt support DX). For dual tuner go with the PVR-500.

OK, saving money is always good :D
    Since I'll be using the 9800pro's output this makes sense. If I had cable tv I'd probably go with the pvr500. BUT, wouldn't running a dual tuner setup be a bit of a pita with satellite?

Thanks for the info. You've helped to clear a lot up for me. Kudos to you.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Not totally following how you plan to set this up so if your using the PC with MP on it to connect to the tv, thats fine. Or if you have a PC with media on it and you can share it on the network, than the PC with the MP box can play that back fine too on the tv.

If the satellite uses a STB to decode it youll most likely need to connect it to an analogue card so yes, you wont be able to watch/record more than one thing at a time. So a single tuner card would be the best solution. (I dont use sat so Im not totally sure about a satellite tuner card and how MP works with that).

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The PVR-250 is the older model (numbers are wrong way round, go figure) which uses more chips and is more expensive. You can still get them but when I ordered a PVR-250, I got the 150MCE which I have now. Hauppauge said exactly that as well.

The 150MCE is cheaper, has FM radio, and has much more actively developed drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom