Thinking of replacing my USB TV tuner (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Ok so i'm offically tired of my Leadtek Winfast TV USB II that doesn't record tv show itself but give all the work to my little Pentium III 933Mhz Processor.

So i was looking for something else, something that could encode by itself and would not need the cpu or as little as possible and i saw the Hauppauge WinTv-PVR-250 on sales cut 50$ less than regular price

System Requirements
Pentium® III processor 733MHz or faster for TV pause with full screen playback

and i though "this is it" until i search a little more and found a review on designtechnica.com

We tested the Hauppauge WinTv-PVR-250 in two different PCs: one with an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ and 512MB of RAM and the other with an AMD Athlon XP 2800 Barton with 1024MB of RAM. The difference between the two was noticeable as the slower processor took quite a hit while watching and recording TV – with utilization anywhere between 50 to 80 percent. CPU usage in the system with the 2800+ was much lower and it handled multitasking much better.. This is not to say that a system with lower specifications will not be able to handle watching TV and doing other tasks, but performance will be noticeably lower. Hauppauge lists the minimum specifications for the PVR-250 as a 733MHz or faster processor for full screen playback and pausing but that may be pushing the limits.

Ouch

So now i'm asking , is there really a card out there(usb or pci doesn't matter) that is capable of encoding without the need for a fast Processor :?:

PS: For more info on my computer check the link My config on my signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom