Thinking outside the box (1 Viewer)

Verbal

Portal Member
October 14, 2005
I'll put the package together, I'll get a bunch of pictures, music, avi's (i'll keep the file size down).

I'll post a litst here of what's being included.

Verbal

Portal Member
October 14, 2005
Media Portal Collections

Ok, so I've been working on this, and I'd like some feedback.

The collection I've started and am almost finished is best decribed as a "Fine Art Collection", i.e. fine art painting by rembrant, van gogh, da vinci, etc. The music is mostly classical music, bach, beethoven, etc.

So then I had the idea of doing something called "Collections", which would be prepackaged media around a central theme. There could be a Fine Art Collection, like I've just described, but there could also be other collections of creative commons or "copyleft" licensed material created by anyone

So if someone can think of a way to make a generic installer that will create folders for the downloaded collection in the appropriate MP default directories, people could create their own collections of media as separate downloads.

This way, anyone could put together their own collections (using a predefined directory structure like the one described by moullas), zip it together with the generic installer, and put it out there.

What do you think? Can anyone think of a simple way to obtain/make such an installer?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Re: Media Portal Collections

Verbal said:
    The collection I've started and am almost finished is best decribed as a "Fine Art Collection", i.e. fine art painting by rembrant, van gogh, da vinci, etc. The music is mostly classical music, bach, beethoven, etc.

Nice Idea. I would ask you to try to keep the filesize reasonable though, say below 50 megs? That way you can add like lets say:
    25 jpg files á 500 kb = 12,5 mb
    5 mp3 files á 7 mb = 35 mb (because classical music is long, i know)
    1 avi/wmv file at 2 mb -> just a sample clip maybe, nothing more needed here i think.

Make sure these files a properly tagged (e.g. have album Art and Artist Info for the mp3s), after all this is to make a very good impression to a new user.

Then, I think you should also add predifiend My News (RSS Feeds), how about Internet Radio. Add a little bit of "everything" where possible.

Looking forward to seeing your result.

Inker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom