This would be the ideal platform for a HTPC with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

Jason

Portal Member
September 8, 2004
Frankfurt, Germany
I think i'm in love...

Isn't it just beautiful? And for just € 489,00 this is incredible.
hero20050111.jpg

Now we only need an USB tv tuner and the possibility to run MP on a Mac. But seriously, if just a hardware vendor would build a machine like that on a PC basis it would become a giant hit.

I'm actually considering buying this beauty.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yep,
    looks really great.
    There is even a TV-converter for it.

I did always wanna check out a mac so who knows. Maybe i'll buy one to.

A

Anonymous

This is probably too complicated to realize, but what about MediaPortal running in Virtual PC on the MacMini and using the ElGato external FireWire TV Tuner. Would a G4 at 1,2 or 1,4 Ghz have enough Horsepower to encode/decode MPEG2?

I mean, I think I have fallen in love with this machine :)

A

Anonymous

I am not sure you need the faster processor, a G4 at 1,2 Ghz is faster than an Athlon at 1,2 Ghz.

Since many people already have a external hardrive with 160 GB+ I am content with the internal 40 GB.

The only thing you REALLY need is a RAM upgrade.

I just read that Elgate will release an external USB analog tuner which is hardwarewise the same as ATIs TV Wonder. Is this a hardware card? Is it technically feasable to run MP in Virtual PC with that card?

A

Anonymous

I want one.

I want MediaPortal to run on it.

MAKE IT SO - I COMMAND IT (in big booming voice)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Speaking of Mac vs PC mhz, the 800mhz G4 Powermac I used at Uni was comfortably faster than my 1600+ Athlon.

macmini0181.jpg

While you're not going to be able to realign satellites in orbit or render Finding Nemo with the Mac Mini, it'll be more than sufficent for Media Portal type duties. And the whole thing is roughly the same size as a desktops Optical drive... Amazing!

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    seems it can diplay HDTV resolutions up to 1920x1080.....pity its a MAC!

however i cant find any specs to allow 5.1..i think it only has a stereo headphone/output jack..oh well

apart from that.... this would make quite an ideal for HTPC and office use...but not much else

A

Anonymous

While still drooling over the Mini I would really like to get some feedback from the MP programmers whether it is viable to run MP in Virtual PC on a Mac Mini and whether it could be achieved without major code development.

Anybody there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom