Time-shift with other recording software (1 Viewer)

rogerbro

Portal Member
January 4, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hi all,

After trying a while to configure my Pinnacle 110i (anlaog TV-Card with software encoder) I gave up and decided to use Mediaportal to play existing content and keep the Pinnacle-Software for recording.
But now I can not use time-shift (watching in Mediaportal while recording with Pinnacle-Software). I can choose the file, but it won't play. It seems Mediaportal can only play mpeg2-file which are "closed" (is this right?)

Is this a "problem" with the build-in player or with the choosen codec (I took the default Mediaportal codec)?
If codec, which codec can handle this (kind of) "open files"?

Any other suggestions how to solve this?

What I also tried is to use (and configure in Mediaportal) a third party player, I used VLC. With VLC I can play this "time-shift files", but since it starts a new application it is difficult use the remote-control the control the player ...
... so, this would be an option, but maybe (hopefully) not the best.

Regards,
rogerbro

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    MediaPortal uses Microsoft MPEG2 demultiplexer which doesn't support opening files that are opened already for writing. So, in short it won't work inside MP.

rogerbro

Portal Member
    January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thank you for the fast response ...

Do you know if there is a third party player who better integrate into Mediaportal? Or is there even a possibility to replace the internal player, e.g. with a plug-in-player?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    have you tried using MediaPortal for your recordings instead of the Pinnacle software?

rogerbro

Portal Member
    January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Yes, but it is not really straight forward to configure a TV-card with a software encoder (though, I heard TV-cards with hardware encoders are fine) … I have tried for about 2-3 weeks, the new Mediaportal TV-server and the (old) Mediaportal build-in TV-engine, but gave up now. It either crashed every time when I started recoding (TV-server) or didn't even recognize the channels (build-in module) …

That's the reason why I decided to keep the Pinnacle software for recording for now …

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom