Time-shift with other recording software (1 Viewer)

rogerbro

Portal Member
January 4, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hi all,

After trying a while to configure my Pinnacle 110i (anlaog TV-Card with software encoder) I gave up and decided to use Mediaportal to play existing content and keep the Pinnacle-Software for recording.
But now I can not use time-shift (watching in Mediaportal while recording with Pinnacle-Software). I can choose the file, but it won't play. It seems Mediaportal can only play mpeg2-file which are "closed" (is this right?)

Is this a "problem" with the build-in player or with the choosen codec (I took the default Mediaportal codec)?
If codec, which codec can handle this (kind of) "open files"?

Any other suggestions how to solve this?

What I also tried is to use (and configure in Mediaportal) a third party player, I used VLC. With VLC I can play this "time-shift files", but since it starts a new application it is difficult use the remote-control the control the player ...
... so, this would be an option, but maybe (hopefully) not the best.

Regards,
rogerbro

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    MediaPortal uses Microsoft MPEG2 demultiplexer which doesn't support opening files that are opened already for writing. So, in short it won't work inside MP.

rogerbro

Portal Member
    January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thank you for the fast response ...

Do you know if there is a third party player who better integrate into Mediaportal? Or is there even a possibility to replace the internal player, e.g. with a plug-in-player?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    have you tried using MediaPortal for your recordings instead of the Pinnacle software?

rogerbro

Portal Member
    January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Yes, but it is not really straight forward to configure a TV-card with a software encoder (though, I heard TV-cards with hardware encoders are fine) … I have tried for about 2-3 weeks, the new Mediaportal TV-server and the (old) Mediaportal build-in TV-engine, but gave up now. It either crashed every time when I started recoding (TV-server) or didn't even recognize the channels (build-in module) …

That's the reason why I decided to keep the Pinnacle software for recording for now …

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose compatibility with almost every new version. And new skins are too 'fancy' for my taste. I use a customized version of the default wide skin with only Videos and TV in the main menu. I use mediaportal for recording...
    I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
    I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
    Replies
    Views
    Could be that a sudden powercut corrupts the database, or give all your pcs a new ipadres, or several more things that can break up a running mediaportal setup. Without the logs however, I don't have a clue on what exactly is wrong...
    Could be that a sudden powercut corrupts the database, or give all your pcs a new ipadres, or several more things that can break up...
    Hi there, I'm a happy long time user and am currently using MP 1.25. Up until now I had no issues with my setup. Yesterday...
    Replies
    Views
    Many people found the Lentoid decoder better optimised than LAV for software decoding. If you want to try it, download it from the link below, run reg.bat as an admin to install it and change the HEVC Video settings in MediaPortal Configuration/Codecs and Renderer...
    Many people found the Lentoid decoder better optimised than LAV for software decoding. If you want to try it, download it from the...
    For some unknown reason I can't play HEVC encoded video with MP1 on my system. I have tried every trick I know, but nothing works...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello to all, as requested by doskabouter I created the log and before posting it, I went through and one line caught my attention, apparently my music database had a problem. So I deleted (rename) and recreated the database, as I have a lot of tracks in my collection (+/- 90000 songs) I hate do do this because it's very longer but...
    Hello to all, as requested by doskabouter I created the log and before posting it, I went through and one line caught my attention...
    Hello to all I have been using MP for many years and my system had become +/- unstable, it was time to refresh it. So I...
    Replies
    Views
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my office machine MP client. Same exact network, firewall, Defender settings. It's a slightly older version of Win 10 though - I haven't updated to 20Hx on it yet. Maybe I shouldn't (or maybe I should image it...
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my...
    Let me start by asking if anyone has TV Server running PROPERLY on a Windows 10 machine, and if so are you using RTSP or UNC share...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom