Timeshift on Ramdisk - Not enough space (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
December 16, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 RC1
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello everybody,

this problem has already been discussed on some formum threats:

Hi all,

I just installed Mediaportal 1.1 RC1. Before I used timeshift on a ramdisk as adviced in the "tips and tricks" to "silent" my HardDisk. In 1.0.2 it worked well. I configured it for 4 files with 300 MB on 1300 MB ramdisk. No Problems. So this should be enough. When I let TV run for app. 30 Minutes and then switch the channel, TV stops and MediaPortal tells me "there is not enough space". I know, this message should be clear, but on MP 1.0.2 exactely the same config worked well. When I change Timeshift folder on HDD there is no problem with channel change.

So I looked for some information about this "bug" and I could get the Info that there is some kind of "check" right now to check if there is twice of the space available on the specified disk. Doesn´t matter if you use Ramdisk or Harddisk.

I crosschecked it by just setting 100 MB files with 4 Timeshift files on TV-Server. So 800 MB are needed because of that "check". Then everything works and TV is not stopped.

So my question: Is it really needed to do this check? In 1.0.2 it worked well for me - and I think for the others. Could you tell me the background of this or could you remove that check and just display a warning message on the TV-Server config that you SHOULD use twice of the space?

In General I think it wouldn´t make much sense to be forced to use twice of the space for Timeshift. Even for Ramdisk. So if you want to create Timeshift-Ramdisk of for example 2 GB you would need a 4 GB Ramdisk and for 4 GB -> 8 GB and so on. I think this wastes the free space. Please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom