Timeshift on USB Stick. (1 Viewer)

dyamant

Portal Pro
July 31, 2007
Castrop-Rauxel
Home Country
Germany Germany
What you are thinking about timeshift on USB stick 3.0 Because the new sticks are very fast. 190mb read 110mb write speed. I want remove all my harddisks from my MP-PC. Only SSD i want to use but thats not so good to use for timeshifting.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
you can try it, though i suppose it won't work flawlessly, because recent usb sticks have good transfer rate, but slow access time.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why don't you use RAM Disk. It's silent and the fastest drive you can get....
    IMDisk Toolkit is free (only open source RAMDisk software out there), without any size limits and easy to setup...

dyamant

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2007
    Castrop-Rauxel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why don't you use RAM Disk. It's silent and the fastest drive you can get....
    IMDisk Toolkit is free (only open source RAMDisk software out there), without any size limits and easy to setup...

I agree and iam using now. 8gb RAM drive. But i need a little bit more space. For around 2 hours buffer for 2 tv cards and hdmovies.
    RAM is this time very expensive and so my idea was a USB stick.[DOUBLEPOST=1394482402][/DOUBLEPOST]
    you can try it, though i suppose it won't work flawlessly, because recent usb sticks have good transfer rate, but slow access time.
    Thnx 1st for the information. I think i buy one and i test it, maybe it works maybe not.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This thread is a bit old but it is on topic and I am / have been a staunch advocate for placing the Timeshifting on a USB stick; from memory it worked well on the old WMC.
    Over time I have been getting picture breakup from time to time, on Prime 7 and SBS and ABC (Oz TV) and I suppose on other channels. I have put up with it putting it on the back burner and to get a tech out to check the antenna and run.

Yesterday I had sever picture breakup on ABC and got the sh*ts with it all. At one stage I had a no TV signal. Bing, the light went on. In the WMC days if I got that I would check the Live TV buffer on the USB stick and or reformat the USB stick. So yesterday I took the MP1 Timeshifting off the (what I think is a fast, quality) USB (3.0) stick in a USB 3 socket, and put it on a hard disk. My picture breakup issues seem to have gone yesterday and today.

So in the limited time I have been off the USB stick and using a hard drive (actually I got a SSD today to specifically for the time shifting buffer and other storage) the picture has been good. I can only draw the conclusion that Timeshifting did not like the USB stick; time will tell.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    16 GB SDRAM is ~ € 80. If my server supported more than 8 GB, I would definately buy 8 GB more and also use them for timeshift. Insanely fast and totally reliable.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    16 GB SDRAM is ~ € 80. If my server supported more than 8 GB, I would definately buy 8 GB more and also use them for timeshift. Insanely fast and totally reliable.
    Well I bought 16gig ram of what I thought was the right DDR3 etc... and that is what the MOBO said to get but the MOBO did not recognise it so I now have a spare bit of 16gig ram... My machine currently has 8 gig. (the BIOS is as uptodate as is available with the firmware.)

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Operating nearby boards RAM maximas (no matter if approaching them per slot or in total) always needs to be well planned, since there are to many configurations possible like how the modules are organised internally and therefore if they are suppoted by the board or not... trying combinations of different modules (no matter if using all different single modules or even for only using different pairs of identical modules) will double the trouble :D

Where 16GB Ram is ~80€, there 128GB SSDs is ~40€ already (i.e. good one Sandisk with about ~500 read and ~450 write around 42€)... seeming to be the better pick for an dedicated timeshift drive... even if only used on 3GB SATA channels, since the same thing what turns out for USB-Drives already takes place here too: not only the transfer-rate, but the access times do the trick ;)

half of bucks the price, eight times longer the shift, by adding the same noise... just my 2 euro-cents :D

best regards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom