TIMESHIFT to RECORDING / RECORDING to TIMESHIFT (1 Viewer)

jansjobe

March 1, 2006
Hi honoured members of this extremely interesting community!

SCENARIO 1:

I start timeshift. After one hour I have forgotten it. After one hour and five minutes I recall I have started timeshift. Now I want to do this:

- Set an end time for the ongoing timeshift and save it as a recording.
( Bonus: Add to that the pre-recording of X minutes (as in MCE) and also set a starting point fifteen minutes before I pressed timeshift. )

SCENARIO 2:

I schedule/manually start a recording. Half an hour after the recording has started I decide to watch the movie NOW. So:

- I rewind the ongoing recording from start and begin to watch the movie while the recording continues until it's end-time.

I consider this to be an ESSENTIAL PART OF A COMPLETE HTPC SOFTWARE.

Does anyone else agree?

Best Regards,
Jan Sjöberg

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Scenario 2 is already in place. When your show is recording, it is listed under Scheduled recording. Once you see that your show is currently recording you are allowed to click on it and start from the beginning or where the show currently at.

As for Scenario 1, I think something like this well be added after 0.2 final is out. I understand that you want to save the time buffer as a recorded show, but I don't understand the bonus. You should be able to save the time buffer but nothing before the time buffer because it wasn't recording then.

I would think in the future you would see something like this. You are watching the end of a show that started at 8:50. You then continue to watch the next show and about 23 minutes into the show you want to record this whole show to watch again. At this point you should be able to hit the menu button and select Save Time shift. You would then have some options to set up your recording every 15 minutes or whatever. You would select 9:00 to 11:00 (because your show is 2 hours long) and it would somehow grab the first 23 minutes of the show and then continue to record the rest. Your show would then show up in Scheduled recording, just like a recorded show.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    scenario 1 is already in place almost as you describe.

Let's say you are watching a show with timeshift set to one hour. After thirty minutes you decide that you want to record the entire show from the beginning. Simply press record. You are prompted with "Record Current Program" or "Record until Manual Stop". If you select current program, the timeshift buffer is used to record the beginning of the program onwards.

Is this what you are after? I can't see the point of recording an arbitary hour if it isn't part of a program.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    heheh, I had to ask that too when I was a noob ;-)

It makes sense, but it seems a little bit too clever to work...

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Marcusb said:
    scenario 1 is already in place almost as you describe.

Let's say you are watching a show with timeshift set to one hour. After thirty minutes you decide that you want to record the entire show from the beginning. Simply press record. You are prompted with "Record Current Program" or "Record until Manual Stop". If you select current program, the timeshift buffer is used to record the beginning of the program onwards.

Is this what you are after? I can't see the point of recording an arbitary hour if it isn't part of a program.

I think he mentioned something different.
    What he means I guess and is something I'm personally missing, too since I get used to it years ago by this little sweet program called myHTPC.

Scenario 1:
    Program runs from 8:00 to 9:00. This program is in timeshift now and I start to watch the show from the beginning at 8:50.
    After 15 minutes I'm still watching but I would like to keep this show saved to hdd.
    Right now it's 9:05 and I can't tell MP to record this show to end, 'cause the next show that runs from 9:00 to 10:00 already has started and MP would record the "wrong" show.

Now I need this new option to tell MP to record the timeshifted material.
    Ideally if I could set start and end marks.

But in the frist step it would be nice to save the intire timeshifted material. :)

Marcusb said:
    If you select current program, the timeshift buffer is used to record the beginning of the program onwards.
    I just tried it yesterday again, but it doesn't work at all.
    I also though that it should work, but it didn't.

Did you try it yourself?

Regards
    Ralph

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Ralph said:
    Marcusb said:
    If you select current program, the timeshift buffer is used to record the beginning of the program onwards.
    I just tried it yesterday again, but it doesn't work at all.
    I also though that it should work, but it didn't.

Did you try it yourself?

Regards
    Ralph

I use this all the time and it works well for me. I guess it's possible that it doesn't work in recent CVs's and I haven't noticed it, but not too likely.
    I'm away from home for a couple of days but I'll test it when I get home. Anyone else care to test on a new CVS?

With regards to the other point you mentioned, I also have had that happen a couple of times, where the show has already finished when I wanted to record it. I never thought it would be worth the extra coding, but I guess if it happens a lot to some people then maybe it is. I always just try to make sure I realise I want to tape something before it finishes.

jansjobe

March 1, 2006
    Ralph is right about scenario 1.

Let's say I start watching a show. I pause (timeshift). I go to make some coffe. Then I get other things to do but I want to watch the rest of the show tomorrow. Possibly also the WHOLE show (like the MCE style always buffering half an hour) and set start and end points for my recorded timeshift.

Marcusb: If what you describe already works, I am partly happy!
    ASiDiE: I like your future vision, espescially the last part; teh saved timeshift shows up just like a recorded show.

I think I must get my setup to work 100% correctly and really test things,
    I have just started to use this excellent program, since ShowShifter sadly died... And MCE is a monster...And I really like the idea of being able to contribute myself to the development of a perfect software!

The irony is that I bought parts to build a MCE station, with two MCE certified Twinhan DVB-T cards. But the other day I got a demo of MCE and, well, what shall I say... disappointment is an understatement in all but ONE area: userfriendlyness. This new HTPC era is fantastic but there are children, wives and elderly people that uses thier intuition, not there long earned computer skill to try to JUST WATCH TV.

One more thing:

What is so fantastic with a BLUE skin??? Get this excellent program to differentiate itself from that garguantic beast.... I know I could make my own, but...

Best Regards, Jan

pirlone

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2005
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    i can't get timeshifted material recorded in any way... can anyone confirm that this is working with some of the latest cvs (last month or two)?

regards,
    viliam

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I also just tested this on a very clean install of RC2 with 3.14.06 CVS. I configured it and turned on My TV. I started it about 12:15 or so and let it go until 12:40. (I have my buffer set at 30 min) At 12:40 in the my TV home I hit R on my keyboard. I have 2 options. 1. Record current show or 2. Record till manually stop. I choose the first one and let it sit until 1:00. I then go into recorded shows and its there. However it only shows that it recorded 10 minutes of the show. This tells me that it didn't even touch the time buffer.

Even better... after click on that file I have like a half a second of video... and after looking at my file... the size is only 9k.... yes.. 9K. It never touched the time buffer or even record anything. There were the icons on the screen letting me know that is was recording.

Can someone else test this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom