[WiP] Timeshifting in a single looping .ts file (1 Viewer)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Timeshifting in a single looping .ts file

@DEVS
    would it be OK to post here a SVN based MP und TVServer install? so people like mylle can test this patch also and see if it helps is his sitation. The build would contain Disaster123 build in all logs so you were able to detect this special build if there were support requests.

I would think this is ok as long as it's made clear that it's not an official release and people using it shouldn't submit a bug report.

I'm not sure if there's an official policy though, so it might be worth PM'ing a more experienced dev.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

@DEVS
    would it be OK to post here a SVN based MP und TVServer install? so people like mylle can test this patch also and see if it helps is his sitation. The build would contain Disaster123 build in all logs so you were able to detect this special build if there were support requests.

I would think this is ok as long as it's made clear that it's not an official release and people using it shouldn't submit a bug report.

I'm not sure if there's an official policy though, so it might be worth PM'ing a more experienced dev.

Hi,

Since MP is open source under the GPL, you can take the code and modify it, as long as you release the source.

However, the last time this was discussed on the team, the view was that you should not be allowed to distribute such a release on the team forums.

The reason for this is very simple. No matter how many times you tell some people that it is not official, they will install it, use it and report bugs based on it, often without making the distinction that it is an unofficial build.

Secondly, we are preparing to release a beta which we want tested thoroughly so we can drive forward to a stable release. Having a second build out there for testing will dilute testing efforts.

Best wishes,

Mark

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Timeshifting in a single looping .ts file

Hi not sure if you mean that but my "private" build here in the forum was / is allowed by the team - but this has nothing todo with this thread.

What does this exactly mean? I think it would be important that people who have problems can test this patch.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Hi not sure if you mean that but my "private" build here in the forum was / is allowed by the team - but this has nothing todo with this thread.

What does this exactly mean? I think it would be important that people who have problems can test this patch.

Well, maybe someone more senior than me needs to comment.

I don't think there is any problem with people providing patches or even binary updates. The problem comes when it is a full release installer, which is easily confused with an official release.

The problem right now is that there are known issues with SVN. These are in mantis and scheduled to be fixed, as and when people get time.

I am still not clear about the need for this patch/change. As I have said, I see no problems with multiseat TV. Having said that, I don't doubt that other people are seeing problems. The priority for us is to identify the causes of problems and fix them.

If you have (in the course of preparing this patch) identified the cause of problems, we need to get these problems into mantis so they can be fixed in the official build.

As I understand this patch, it is designed for multiseat streaming with UNC paths rather than rtsp. Is this correct?

It is currently possible (but not supported) to use multiseat TV with UNC paths.

So, once again, I simply don't understand what issues this patch fixes. Could you give some examples that are easily reproducible?

Thanks,

Mark

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

So, once again, I simply don't understand what issues this patch fixes. Could you give some examples that are easily reproducible?

Thanks,

Mark

Some people are using UNC, because RTSP contains some bugs and it's slower.
    If you use UNC, it can be that tsreader lost the stream when the tv server switches the timeshift file,
    this because of slow network, smb cache,...

A single timeshift file will solve this issue.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Some people are using UNC, because RTSP contains some bugs and it's slower.
    If you use UNC, it can be that tsreader lost the stream when the tv server switches the timeshift file,
    this because of slow network, smb cache,...

A single timeshift file will solve this issue.

Thanks for explaining.

To be honest, I think the best approach would be to try to fix the problems with rtsp, but I have tried to help people with this issue in the past and been unable to reproduce their problems.

Is there any possibility of regression with this change?

The team did discuss the possibility of doing this before 1.1.0 was released, and concluded that there was a risk of it breaking things.

0001862: Change timeshift file handling to have only 1 file per user session which is preallocated - MediaPortal Bugtracker

There is no possibility of such a change being included in 1.2.0, so I would suggest that once the 1.2.0beta is released, then you could supply binaries against that version.

Of course, this is only a suggestion, and I am certainly not _telling_ you what to do.

Best wishes and thanks for your contributions to MP.

Mark

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    regarding custom builds:
    IIRC, custom builds are allowed, but only after team official release and any custom build must be labeled that way with line in a log file. So I see no problems including this in your build disaster123, after 1.2 beta is released.

regarding the patch:
    This certainly isn't gonna make it into 1.2. When the patch covers all the currently possible use-cases and it's stable enough, we can see about including it in official builds.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Timeshifting in a single looping .ts file

regarding custom builds:
    IIRC, custom builds are allowed, but only after team official release and any custom build must be labeled that way with line in a log file. So I see no problems including this in your build disaster123, after 1.2 beta is released.

Hi, i think you got me wrong. I don't wanna include this is my custom build after 1.2 beta ;-) This patch is too alpha ;-) i think. But it seems that nearly nobody is trying our patch. I understand that most of the devs don't do as they probably haven't any problems but i would like to see that the users can. As the patch influences a lot parts in MP it doesn't make sense to upload 30-40 binaries. So my idea was to release a install package to try this patch. For sure it will be based on the actual SVN and not 1.2 beta.

regarding the patch:
    This certainly isn't gonna make it into 1.2. When the patch covers all the currently possible use-cases and it's stable enough, we can see about including it in official builds.
    That's also clear - nobody asked for that ;-)

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I don't think the team would welcome any custom builds before 1.2 Beta is released. But have to check with others :)

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi Stefan,

as you know since long time already, we cannot allow custom builds on any level; expecially when we are so close to a new release and there are so many new things.
    This will give so much extra work to the Team.

Please understand our concerns and you did in the past.

:D

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom