[WiP] Timeshifting in a single looping .ts file (1 Viewer)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Starting with BETA 8 of For The Record 1.5.1 I have improved the .tsbuffer output (I think) by pre-creating the next .ts file beforehand. I've also enabled asynchronous I/O when writing the .ts files. It will be interesting to get some feedback on this, before exploring further into the .tshift format.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Well, so far the response on BETA 8 has been very positive, from people using the regular .tsbuffer format with the two enhancements I made (asynchronous I/O and pre-creating the next .ts file).

So it looks like there may not be any need for the new .tshift streaming format after all?

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
The cool thing is, there's no patches needed at all :D

All of the improvements are in For The Record's Argus recorder/tuner's code that writes the .tsbuffer/.ts files. So an unpatched tsreader can show live TV just fine.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I would indeed guess that similar changes would give the same (good) results. But the code in Argus is written in C#, and tswriter in C++ (plus the internal handling of the stream and demuxer is totally different). So using (parts of) my code directly is not really an option.

Duplicating the same two changes in behavior is an option. Perhaps disaster123 can look at this, like he did for the .tshift format?

For those confused by the term, asynchronous I/O is a standard feature of Windows: Synchronous and Asynchronous I/O (Windows)

And pre-creating the next .ts file is pretty easy too: just make sure the .ts2.ts is there when writing commences on .ts1.ts. Then create .ts3.ts the moment writing starts on .ts2.ts, and so on... Until you loop and all files are there.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Or everyone can start using Argus ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom