Tip for download status in Update Info for all involved persons (IMDb) (1 Viewer)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Thanks Guzzi for your answer.

About the background download, when you are in details view, the process is stopped, when you leave that movie. Would it be stupid/impossible to finish the job for that movie?
    It is of course possible - currently it is intended to cancel dl in case, user starts the movie - or leaves details screen.
    However, this could be changed to mabe only stop, if movie is started - but the disadvantage would be, that this might cause problems in other plugins - e.g. stuttering - if background processes never stop.
    Tip: If you are in details view and use "up/down", you can switch through all movies of the current view and all persons of those will be added to the person dl queue - however, the queue is dropped once you start a movie or leave, as mentioned above.
    It would be great, if you could use AMCU to update these persons. Actually I don't know if there allready is a way to do it, not only for new movies, but for existing movies in the database.
    There was a possibility - it was done together with fanart update - but iirc, we removed that - @Dadeo, can you remember? (I currently can't check code)
    Right now I just finished download info for 133.000 persons in my database. It took 9 days because of a power breakdown, when I reached to M. The rest I downloaded semiautomatic for one starting letter at a time. :)
    Wow, that is a lot :)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Update Info for all involved persons (IMDb) still works for me, @Guzzi - does that use a different process/grabber?
    The language string should be updated - I already removed the " (imdb)". Actually, it uses both - the internal TMDB person grabber AND the (script based) imdb person info grabber - compares results and uses the better ones (should be visible in logs). So if IMDB grabber is broken, it might still get info from TMDB API ...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    There was a possibility - it was done together with fanart update - but iirc, we removed that - @Dadeo, can you remember? (I currently can't check code)
    I don't remember that it ever downloaded 'info/details' like bio, date/place of birth etc. The option Load Person Images is in AMCU Database Fields tab (below Fanart Options) but I just tried it and couldn't get it to work (and there are person images on TMDb) - either in import or update movies. The tool tip says it does it when it downloads fanart, and ofc atm fanart download is not working. So maybe that is the issue? MyFilmsAMCupdater.log didn't tell me anything, even though I have Logging Level set to 'All Events with Grabbing' :(

IMHO if you could select 'Load Person Images' and Update all records via AMCU and it would grab the person images (you could even choose a 'faster' grabber like IMDB or TMDB since you aren't updating data), that might be the easiest/best way to grab person images for all your movies. I can't imagine wanting to do that in GUI, since as you said it could seriously affect performance in other plugins/functions.

Actually, it uses both - the internal TMDB person grabber AND the (script based) imdb person info grabber - compares results and uses the better ones (should be visible in logs). So if IMDB grabber is broken, it might still get info from TMDB API ...
    Cool! Yes it is in MyFilms.log if you know what to look for, or only do one thing and then check the log :p Though the 'comparison' wasn't very clear/obvious to me, but I was testing several different Person update options so I probably confused myself :D

Last edited:

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    I don't remember that it ever downloaded 'info/details' like bio, date/place of birth etc. The option Load Person Images is in AMCU Database Fields tab (below Fanart Options) but I just tried it and couldn't get it to work (and there are person images on TMDb) - either in import or update movies. The tool tip says it does it when it downloads fanart, and ofc atm fanart download is not working. So maybe that is the issue? MyFilmsAMCupdater.log didn't tell me anything, even though I have Logging Level set to 'All Events with Grabbing' :(
    Yes, this option uses v2.1 TMDB API like Fanart - which isn't working anymore. And you're right - it never loaded person info details, only images/artwork.
    But iirc, we decided to drop that anyway due to the new (and imho better) method to load "on demand" in GUI.

IMHO if you could select 'Load Person Images' and Update all records via AMCU and it would grab the person images (you could even choose a 'faster' grabber like IMDB or TMDB since you aren't updating data), that might be the easiest/best way to grab person images for all your movies. I can't imagine wanting to do that in GUI, since as you said it could seriously affect performance in other plugins/functions.
    See above - today, it is only handling it together with fanart loading and without info - only image - and it doesn't work with old API.
    Not ure, if we should improve/extend that, as I think the current way works for most ppl. I would prefer to modify the "automatic loader", if we think, that should be done.

Actually, it uses both - the internal TMDB person grabber AND the (script based) imdb person info grabber - compares results and uses the better ones (should be visible in logs). So if IMDB grabber is broken, it might still get info from TMDB API ...
    Cool! Yes it is in MyFilms.log if you know what to look for, or only do one thing and then check the log :p Though the 'comparison' wasn't very clear/obvious to me, but I was testing several different Person update options so I probably confused myself :D
    Yeah - and now you might ask to use other grabber scripts for that ;-) - well, I personally would like that, so I could use localized sources ... :) - but not the focus for the near future and definately after the required fixes for the next release...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yeah - and now you might ask to use other grabber scripts for that ;-) - well, I personally would like that, so I could use localized sources ...
    I agree providing localized persons info via grabbers would not only meet your needs but probably many more users, and is easier to maintain/update between releases. BUT maybe we can consider a way that allows those grabbers to be used via AMCU also, so you could update your entire database using them? I know that is more complicated than it sounds, since MF does not have persons db/schema, whereas images just have to be added to the persons images folder, but I added Issue 371: Add support for localized Persons info (grabbers) to Tracker anyways. :p

not the focus for the near future ...
    Is there any reason we cannot add more localized grabbers now? AFAIK they will display when you select Updates > Get Internet Info from Persons View context menu. I realize that is not 'full integration' (hence the issue ;)) since I don't think they would apply when updating automatically in Details View, or Updating Info for all related persons. But, while I was updating all the grabbers recently, I noticed many provide localized persons data, though we don't currently grab that. In theory I could probably create several localized persons grabbers, but is that the best solution? Won't we just end up with a ton more grabbers that require endless updating? And based on the lack of reports about how many were broken, I wonder if most users are grabbing data via their movie catalog/manager?

definately after the required fixes for the next release...
    You mean if/when 'real life' decides to give you a break for a change? ;) I certainly hope you get a break for the holiday season, and don't plan to spend it all working on MyFilms!

Harald63

Portal Member
    December 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Aren't persons data relative new in MyFilms. I doubt that any of the external movie catalogs/managers exports these data? Maybe only actors/roles?

My own situation is, that I for years have used Extreme Movie Manager, but the export module in XMM has never worked fully. There has always been a lot of problems with unicode and other things. Therefore I managed to make my own import via Ant Movie Catalog's import module from XMM 7 Access database. But since XMM 8 was introduced in october 2012, it has gone from bad to worse, because some database changes for actors, roles, and other persons. So up to now I have imported movies to both XMM 7 and 8 and made my own import to MyFilms. And now I final have decided to migrate fully to MyFilms and use your fine grappers in AMCU, so the only thing I miss is.........:)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes persons data is 'relatively' new (since 6.0.0 IIRC) and Guzzi was only able to implement that thanks to the excellent work Deda did on the built in MP Videos DB. I think have seen some movie managers that include persons info, but I could be confused - it could just be roles and images. After checking out and testing 20+ they all start to blur in my mind :p

That's too bad about XMM's export format - it is an excellent movie manager and Alessio, the developer, has been very co-operative and supportive in the past. I remember reading your discussion with @Gianlk about it a couple years ago, I guess it never improved :(

Thanks for the vote of confidence/appreciation about MyFilms and it's grabbers - it's always good to know someone is using them ;) and getting the benefit of all the work Guzzi put into the Grabber Engine to support so many options.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Yeah - and now you might ask to use other grabber scripts for that ;-) - well, I personally would like that, so I could use localized sources ...
    I agree providing localized persons info via grabbers would not only meet your needs but probably many more users, and is easier to maintain/update between releases. BUT maybe we can consider a way that allows those grabbers to be used via AMCU also, so you could update your entire database using them? I know that is more complicated than it sounds, since MF does not have persons db/schema, whereas images just have to be added to the persons images folder, but I added Issue 371: Add support for localized Persons info (grabbers) to Tracker anyways. :p
    hmm, I remember I was working on that long ago, adding a persons tab that allows exactly that in AMCU - I have to check if it is still there or if I have removed it when I implemented the automatic grabbing in MF - don't search for it, it is only visible in debug builds ;-) - but iirc, it was based on pure pure MF/AMC DB - and since this didn't make it into AMC DB schema in V4 (I asked for it!) I dropped it...

not the focus for the near future ...
    Is there any reason we cannot add more localized grabbers now? AFAIK they will display when you select Updates > Get Internet Info from Persons View context menu. I realize that is not 'full integration' (hence the issue ;)) since I don't think they would apply when updating automatically in Details View, or Updating Info for all related persons.
    True - there you can choose any grabber, that has the ability to load person data. It would not be too hard to add a setting to use such a grabber for the other updates too (currently, it is using IMDB script and TMDB grabber hardcoded).

But, while I was updating all the grabbers recently, I noticed many provide localized persons data, though we don't currently grab that. In theory I could probably create several localized persons grabbers, but is that the best solution? Won't we just end up with a ton more grabbers that require endless updating?
    That's what I am also worried about - plus it would be nice to have multiple languages included in ONE script - that would reduce the maintenance and number of grabbers ...
    And based on the lack of reports about how many were broken, I wonder if most users are grabbing data via their movie catalog/manager?

definately after the required fixes for the next release...
    You mean if/when 'real life' decides to give you a break for a change? ;) I certainly hope you get a break for the holiday season, and don't plan to spend it all working on MyFilms!
    TKNW (= two kids no wife) - so obviously not even my decision what to do :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    True - there you can choose any grabber, that has the ability to load person data. It would not be too hard to add a setting to use such a grabber for the other updates too (currently, it is using IMDB script and TMDB grabber hardcoded).
    (y) I like that idea. I realized after I wrote the above post that the 'Get Internet Info' option (to select your grabber) is only in Test Mode (upcoming for 6.1), but I can't even find or remember an issue where it was added - so ofc it was never documented. :whistle:

it would be nice to have multiple languages included in ONE script
    For sure! TMDb would be ideal, but it doesn't offer localized bios yet (it is planned, but not soon). Sadly there are very few multiple language sources, and even then the data is not consistently localized.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    (y) I like that idea. I realized after I wrote the above post that the 'Get Internet Info' option (to select your grabber) is only in Test Mode (upcoming for 6.1), but I can't even find or remember an issue where it was added - so ofc it was never documented. :whistle:
    That was added to test mode long ago (1 1/2 years I think), when we reworked the MF internal grabbing stuff.
    it would be nice to have multiple languages included in ONE script
    For sure! TMDb would be ideal, but it doesn't offer localized bios yet (it is planned, but not soon). Sadly there are very few multiple language sources, and even then the data is not consistently localized.
    Yes, I know - and in addition, there is not so many ppl really interested in person details like that, so it is always keeping a balance between efforts and benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom