TiVo's sync for iPod & PSP - can MP clone feature? (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I read on CNET News (most of the following test is taken from following CNET article) that Tivo is introducing a new TiVoToGo feature that will allow owners of TiVo boxes transfer TV shows to their computers, including laptops. What is new is that the content can also be transferred to gadgets compatible with Microsoft's Portable Media Center format. TiVo is expanding that service by permitting shows to be encoded and transferred to Sony's portable game machine, the PlayStation Portable, and to iPods capable of playing video. What makes this unique is TiVo promises to make the process simple, as well as faster. For example, the company says an "auto-sync" feature will allow users to automatically update their portable devices each morning with shows taped the night before. If done well, this could be equivalent of Apple Computer's iTunes software, which streamlined the process of transferring music files from a PC to a portable player. Ease of use played a big part in making the iPod popular.

It would be very cool if such a plugin could be created to allow a similar simple user interface for MP to transfer video to the PSP or video iPod devices, or any of the various players that can view video in the Microsoft Portable Media Center format.

Think this idea could become a reality? If so, then it maybe really worthwhile for me to buy one of those devices.

Mike

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Wouldnt that require the shows to be converted to another high compression format with a small resolution? Cant see those portables holding many shows at 3.4gig per hour....

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Callifo said:
    Wouldnt that require the shows to be converted to another high compression format with a small resolution? Cant see those portables holding many shows at 3.4gig per hour....

From what is said on the link
    The supported video will need to be encoded in the H.264 format, and that should allow for 30 minutes of video in about 200MB of space.

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    an idea would be to provide a selection criteria when recording the TV show so that after the recording when the CPU is idle the recorded show would be reencoded to the mp4 format for the psp or other formats for other mediaplayers. these reencodes would then be stored in a separat folder for further use. additional if selected in the plugin MP would transfer new content to the PSP automatically. It would also be nice to just have a simple one time transfer menue within MP. Another idea of the plugin would also be to put an additional button to the music section so that albums, artists or single music files could be send to the portalbe divice. Thats actually a lot of work and I am sure not so important as to make MP more stable in its existing features :) But we should put that on a list for To Dos in the future. Maybe with version 0.8 or so. Just some crazy ideas. (Man I am angry that I can not do that by myself, REMIDNER: "should start learn to program").

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    GitsLM - I agree that stability is the number one item that needs to be addressed. I also agree that I need to work on learning C# and DirectShow so I can start helping out - I plan that and maybe the first of the year I'll start working on honing my development skills.

BTW - GitsLM how can you be in Germany and USA at the same time? referring to your Location.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    barranger said:
    I really like the idea of being able to auto encode when the processor is idle. I wonder what open source H.264 encoders exist

barranger - look here on SourceForge.

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    mzemina said:
    GitsLM - I agree that stability is the number one item that needs to be addressed. I also agree that I need to work on learning C# and DirectShow so I can start helping out - I plan that and maybe the first of the year I'll start working on honing my development skills.

BTW - GitsLM how can you be in Germany and USA at the same time? referring to your Location.

Well it s the job. I am working in the US but for a German company. And since our proxy server is located in Germany but I am sitting in the US the location is both, lol

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    GitsLM said:
    mzemina said:

Well it s the job. I am working in the US but for a German company. And since our proxy server is located in Germany but I am sitting in the US the location is both, lol

International work.

I'm surprised no one from India or China have discovered MP yet. Are their television programming not developed far enough to need MP? What about Korea!

Mike

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    mzemina said:
    GitsLM said:
    mzemina said:

International work.

I'm surprised no one from India or China have discovered MP yet. Are their television programming not developed far enough to need MP? What about Korea!

Mike

Maybe because their language is not supported yet ? Just an idea :) Me and my wife do the Japanese one atm but as far as I heard the implementation will take a while because MP is not able to handle Jap letters. And therfore not able to handle Chinese one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom