Toggle Layer command in remote control (1 Viewer)

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Yup, that would be something for and-81's macros (I guess?). Maybe that will flow back into the general input mapper some time? (and-81: *hint*hint*) ;)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes I've been thinking that.

I think macros in the general input mapper would be great, but I worry about making the input mapper more complicated. I know some people struggle to understand it as it is.

On the other hand, 99% shouldn't need to enter the input mapper in the first place, so if they do it's up to them to get a grasp on how it works ...

I was thinking that a simple approach would be allow multiple actions per condition, executed in a top down order. Or a separate "Macro" action

What do you think?

Cheers,

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think best would be to put several actions to a single condition. This sounds most reasonable and I think it's also visually understandable at once (due to the tree structure and those colours) and is "just" an extension of the existing stuff. Sounds good to me. I don't think that this approach would make the mapper more complicated.

Not really related, but I must admit that the mapper is not the most intuitive thing in the world, so maybe we should start implementing bubble help stuff (should exist for some remote config sites already). But then people want it localized, I guess.... :/ Just an idea flashing through my head, not much more. ;)

hrox

Portal Member
    March 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    and-81, as you wrote the two options are:
    1. Allowing multiple commands is a single condition.
    1. Allowing to perform all "regular" commands like toggle layer (currently available in the remote setup) in a macro.

Personally, I think the second option is better. This way there is more flexibility to the macros on the one hand, and on the other hand, the traditional remote configuration (not your plugin) remains as is so you don't make it more complicated than it is now.

Cheers

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't get why you wanna wrap idea 1 into a box called "macro" and call it idea 2.

Maybe you can clear it up. Second suggestion looks like suggestion 1 wrapped in some container. Means: same stuff

The first approach wouldn't make the mapper more complicated at all. In fact nobody would notice the change at all as long as he doesn't need it. Also, if it would be implemented in the main core mapper in MP, everyone with a supported remote can benefit from this new feature, not just MCE remote people. Leave it all in one place, please. Much easier to maintain and same features should share the same code, not copying it.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I agree with mPod.

Supporting multiple actions under one condition wont break anything that's already in place, and will benefit everybody. Given that it won't require people to use the input mapper differently it gets past my concern about complication.

But don't worry hrox, I will continue to improve my plugin too.

Thanks guys, I'll post back here when I've done something. Got a couple of things on the go, but I should have something in a few days.

Cheers,

hrox

Portal Member
    March 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    The main reason I suggested adding this feature in the plugin ("idea 2") rather than in the input mapper was to avoid adding complexity to the input mapper. I thought that and-81 wrote, that for some, it is complicated as it is, in one of his posts in this thread, but than again maybe I mis-understood him.

I'm fine with allowing multiple commands in a condition, and I totally agree that allowing everybody to benefit from this feature is a major advantage.

Cheers

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hrox,

Yes, I did initially think it would just make the input mapper more complicated. But when you think about it, it really wouldn't. Because it wouldn't change anything for people who don't know about it or don't want to use the new ability.

I'll put it in the plugin too.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom