too slow CPU? (1 Viewer)

This question is...

• Total voters
T

triple_A

Hey guys,

I am very curious about the media Portal program.
But when I was reading the PC spec requirements, i saw you need at least 1,4 Ghz of CPU speed.. :x
I only have about 300Mhz :oops: (for now :wink: ) but won't any of this software's capabilities work on my pc? Or is it just going to be very slow..

Triple_A

A

Anonymous

There has been many discussions on this in this forum, the requirement are there, to ensure you will have no performance troubles, when using MP.
Each module of MP has different requirements, so try it out and see if the functions you need is working on your system.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
jrossing said:
There has been many discussions on this in this forum, the requirement are there, to ensure you will have no performance troubles, when using MP.
Each module of MP has different requirements, so try it out and see if the functions you need is working on your system.
As long as you don't try to use it for video it *might* work but the only way to find out is to test it.

Every DVD and TV recording program I'm aware of would need more speed than that... so it's a safe bet that video is out. I had trouble with my 550MHz machine playing videos. I think it was a codec issue but even if I found a codec that worked it would be borderline at best.

Bosso

Portal Pro
December 16, 2004
Sweden / Stockholm
Recording of TV shall be OK with a HW-encoder card, but playing it, I don't know. My AMD Athlon 750MHz uses about 20-3+% playing an mpeg2 recording (6Mbit/s)

As said before, the only way to know is to try...

X

xenon2000

MrMario64 said:
a dvd player app needs more that 500Mhz, come on!

All my old desktops I have used between 400-500Mhz with even cheap video cards, do software DVD decoding just fine. I haven't had any skipping problems at all. Of course when I am watching a DVD, I am just watching a DVD, not doing other things at the same time.

Heck, even my 500Mhz laptop with DVDROM plays DVDs via software just fine with a simple ATI integrated graphics chipset.

Just posting this because it seems to be a common misconception that things like software DVD, software MP3 and other simple A/V software decoding take a ton of power, and they don't. Granted the CPU % will be very high on a 400-500Mhz cpu for DVD, but I haven't ever had a problem with DVD and MP3 playback on my 500mhz PC and laptops.

But if you want to do multiple high cpu task, you definately need more than 500mhz. Just saying that 500mhz can do a ton more than people give credit for. And that with XP installed too. As long as it's not DVDs, I can even do multitasking with Office, IE, MP3, and Divx just fine. Low ram is usually the killer on old computers. My 500mhz has 256 Megs with XP SP2 and it runs great for many things. Of course my 3.0Ghz HT Intel can do a whole lot more.. :)

A

Anonymous

I'm running MP on a 1GHz T-bird, and it runs *fairly* well. It'd run nicer if I got a decent graphics card, though - using an ATI Rage 128 at the moment. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom