Total Solution? (1 Viewer)

jean-paul.nl

Portal Member
February 6, 2007
I’m looking for a simple solution to watch TV/video and listen to music every ware in my house or wireless in the garden. Thee is a lot of band wide available but this is not the problem. I tried MediaPortal and I impressed. There are a lot of bugs and I know its beta. I have tried mythtv to and also impressed. Why? The concept of client server. So far so good. All the clients (5*) are Windows but my servers are Linux. Mythtv is Linux. MediaPortal is Windows. A search with google gifs me “Mythtv player for Windows” WinMyth for windows (old)”. Linux is free and Windows not (there are illegal versions around) Most of the people using Linux as backend and for good reasons. Try to find a good solution for Windows/Linux there is not. Is it not efficient to contact al those guys there working on clients for them self or as a little project to makes the best solution for both worlds. In my case windows will be used as game platform so Linux is no option. The other way my backend(s) are Linux and for testing I have one with MediaPortal tvserver for windows but temporally . The most of the people don’t have more than one backend server. If we using the best of both worlds without talking about what the best platform is but looking to the best solution. If we put al our afford into it including al people working on there own solution then we have a lot of friends using this concept. I know it’s a good one but not usable for most of us.

I hope it will changed is the future.

JP

jean-paul.nl

Portal Member
February 6, 2007
Hoi infinityloop,

There is a gab between al those solutions like MediaPortal en others. This gab will be filled by a lot of little projects but it takes to long and not al information they needed is available. What I try to say is it possible to create a TVServer for Linux? You make a lot of friends if you do.

JP

jean-paul.nl

Portal Member
February 6, 2007
I found this tread ttp://forum.team-mediaportal.com/porting_tv_server_linux-t12042p9.html and I see the old story again. Platform wars. I will wait another 10 years when people grow up and the big companies has winning.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i have read this post now 3 times......
but i have still no clue what you want to tell us :confused:

Lol...ok...

What I think he is trying to say is: He wants a Linux back-end and a Windows Front-end....Usual port to Linux malarky (not that I wouldn't support a move if there was ever one)

And the answer is that it is not yet possible.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here is what I think he is trying to say:

I'm looking for a simple solution in which I am able to watch TV/Video and Listen to Music anywhere in the house, and possibly in the garden through the use of wireless.

The problem itself is not the bandwidth.

I have tried and MediaPortal and was impressed, even despite the fact there are a lot of bugs, but I know its a beta. I have also tried the Linux MythTV and was impressed also. Why? The concept of a Client/Server solution.

The problem comes because all my 5 clients are Windows based, but my servers are Linux. MythTV is for Linux. MediaPortal is for Windows.

When searching on google for "MythTV Front-End for Windows", it brings up WinMyth for Windows, but this is very old and has died out of development.

I have been tried to find a Windows/Linux solution but I cannot find one. There are a lot of small projects for this but they are usually user-specific and not a total solution.

I wish to use Games on my Front-end so Linux cannot be used, but I wish to keep my servers (Back-end) Linux, although I have temporarily setup a MediaPortal TV Server.

----- From here onwards I really don't have a clue -----

If we contact all the people working on their own small projects and get them to work on a MediaPortal port to Linux, we could create a solution fit for both Windows and Linux.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What I try to say is it possible to create a TVServer for Linux? You make a lot of friends if you do.
    possible? maybe, i have no clue about linux. and thats the same for 99% of all our Team Members

But i know one thing for sure, you can not simply port the current TV-Server to linux.

IF there are any developers around who know linux and want to create a TV-Server like application which runs on linux, they can grab the sourcode of our TV-Server and go ahead (as long as everything stays opensource ;) ).

but in the past, all port attempts were aborted ( iguess simply because of the totaly different underlying technology).

So:
    • "Is it possible to port TV-Server or MediaPortal to Linux?" -> Maybe, ask someone who knows linux (because we dont)
    • "Will the Team MediaPortal support Linux in any way" -> definitly not. simply because we do not have the time, the manpower, knowledge or anyone who would be interested in doing it.
      At the moment we could allready need more developers, designers and testers, to get everything done. Because MediaPortal (Client and Server) has become a huge project.

-->MediaPortal and Linux<--

kiesow

Portal Pro
    March 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, maybe you should take a look at VDR. It runs on Linux and has at least one windows-client, but i don't know if there are any english websites about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom