Touch LCD Screen (1 Viewer)

smithft

Portal Member
November 18, 2005
Hi,
I'm new to teh forum but have looked through the posts and cannot seem to find a related topic. I hope I'm posting this in teh correct section....
Anyway the app is fantastic and I am looking for advice.

I want to use Media Portal just to control my music, read RSS news feeds, get weather reports, etc.. but not any TV/DVD/Video related stuff. I bought a 8" Touch LCD screen on ebay as this will be my interface in the kitchen. I plan on connecting this to a small PC (hidden) in the kitchen and use my wireless network to connect to the media and the Internet.
I want to keep the cost down and was wondering if anybody could suggest a spec of PC that would suit my purpose. I've read the min spec but it seems like overkill for what I want to use. The graphics card is the other part I am struggling with. I know I have to use a DX9 compatable card but again just using this for my purpose would seem over the top.

Any advice would be great
Thanks

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Well... I've used it on a 1.3GHz CPU playing movies and music. If that works for me I'm sure what you want to do will require much less.

smithft

Portal Member
November 18, 2005
Thanks jdiffend
Any thoughts on the graphics card. Do I need one of the super quick ones anyway just to render the interface or is there a way around that

Thanks
Frank

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
smithft said:
Thanks jdiffend
Any thoughts on the graphics card. Do I need one of the super quick ones anyway just to render the interface or is there a way around that

With DirectX 9 cards starting as low as $30 US after rebate why go with a lesser card??? That's less than what a GForce 4 MX or Radeon 9250 goes for.

smithft

Portal Member
November 18, 2005
Thanks - I didn't think I could use those cards - I was working from the requirements list. Thanks for the replay I go hunting for one of those.

Thanks again...
Frank

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
smithft said:
Thanks - I didn't think I could use those cards - I was working from the requirements list. Thanks for the replay I go hunting for one of those.

I was suggesting a GForce 5200 in case there was a misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom