Transfer Entire TVServer / Database (1 Viewer)

Britton

Portal Member
December 13, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
New to MediaPortal and been lurking the forums, wiki and the rest of the interweb for several weeks now. I have been a WMC user for a few years and am ready to make the switch to running MediaPortal on my systems. That said, I've been working through the configuration kinks and such on my office computer and want to take the TVServer setup that I have here and move it onto my main HTPC that will act as the TVServer for itself and several other TVs throughout my home. It's been essential for me to keep the wife happy and not interrupt the current TV setup so she doesn't miss any episodes of the Real Desperate Housewives of WTF, or whatever reality crap she prefers.

That said, I've gone through quite a bit of work to create the channel mapping between the lineup pulled from my HDHomeruns (2x ATSC dual tuners and 1 Prime cablecard triple tuner...) and the channel lineup pulled from Schedules Direct. As it seems to be fairly well known, the channel call-signs provided by the HDHR Prime / Cable Company differ from what gets pulled from Schedules Direct. I've spent a lot of time:
  • Scanning the channels from my tuners
  • Renaming all of the channels so their call-signs match what SD expects (there were LOTS, hundreds...this took a while :) )
  • Pulling down the guide data after the channel mapping has been established
  • Then renaming each channel again so the MediaPortal front end has a nice human-readable channel name (e.g. renamed DSCHD to Discovery Channel HD) along with assigning logos to each channel
With all that in mind, I don't want the TVServer to reside on my office machine as it gets rebooted, is a power hog, etc...

I've tried doing an export from the TVServer Configuration and re-importing the XML into the new TVServer, but the channel mapping between SD and my HDHR lineups isn't there. If I pull down the guide data, I get a ton of "No Data..." errors as I did before renaming all of the channels initially on my office computer.

I've tried manually copying the database from C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\data from the office to the HTPC and have also tried manually copying the data from C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal. This usually results in the TVServer or MySQL services failing to start.

I really don't want to have to go back through and rename each channel to create the mapping between SD and my HDHR lineup -- anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

If I were you I'd be pursuing the MySQL database copy. Unfortunately I have a feeling it may be the only way to preserve the SD guide data mappings.

This somewhat technical link may help:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/copying-databases.html

Again, unfortunately the process of copying a database isn't necessarily going to be a walk in the park for a lot of people. If you get stuck, sing out and I'll try to assist if possible.

Regards,
    mm

Britton

Portal Member
    December 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks for the guidance, mm, much appreciated.

Before I go down the rabbit hole of figuring this out, do you think this is even possible? Is the SD mappings stored in the DB along with the channel info from the initial scan from the HDHR?

Along with that, I'd like to have a backup mechanism that would allow the TV Server to be transferred to a different machine for things like, OS reinstalls, upgrading to a new HTPC, etc...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Before I go down the rabbit hole of figuring this out, do you think this is even possible? Is the SD mappings stored in the DB along with the channel info from the initial scan from the HDHR?
    I'm 100% confident that the SD mapping is stored in the DB Channel table, ExternalId column. It is absolutely possible.

Britton

Portal Member
    December 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Awesome -- thank you sir. I'll let you know how it turns out...cross your fingers :)

Britton

Portal Member
    December 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Hey mm -- trying to get this to work.

But having some issues, would you recommend this sequence?
    1. Install TVServer on destination machine
      1. I'm not doing a channel scan or pulling SD listings, I was thinking of literally just installing the components and moving the entire DB thinking ALL of the old machine's contents would be imported when moving the DB.
    2. Install / enable the SD plugin
    3. Import the XML export / backup from the old machine (is this step needed, or does moving the DB itself implicitly do this...?)
    4. Migrate the DB
    Thanks again for the help.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm no expert, in the way that mm1352000 is, but if you want extra re-assurance, I have done exactly this in the past. Specifically in regard to rebuilding and reinstalling WIn7 on my system. I used the MySQL Workbench tool and simply exported the database before the rebuild, installed MP from new, deleted the database created as part of the install then imported the old one. Worked perfectly for me.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Import the XML export / backup from the old machine (is this step needed, or does moving the DB itself implicitly do this...?)
    This step is unnecessary. As you say, importing the DB will take care of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom