Translation problem - english words hardcoded! (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I was encouraged by the devs to look through the MP interface to find hardcoded words that should be moved to the stings-file so that they could be translated. I posted my list a couple of months ago on this thread but have not seen any changes or gotten any reactions from the devs. I am now wondering if you need any additional information or if I can help you in any other way to make these changes happen?

Here is my original list:

Ok! I've taken some time to look through the menues of 0.2.0.0 with a CVS from the 14:th of october.

Apart from the problems mentioned above in this thread most hard coded strings seem to be in the new settings section. Here is a list of what I have found. The biggest annoyances are of course the things in my tv and tv-guide.

"NOW:
NEXT:" (When changing channel)

"Teletext" (in my TV)

"Time Interval" (TV-guide)

There is a single "." inserted after the date and before the month in the home screen.

"Setup Wizard" (Settings screen)

"Repeat/loop slideshows" (Settings/My pictures)
"Auto Shuffle slideshow" (Settings/My pictures)

"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My movies)
"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My movies)

"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My TV)
"Timeshift buffer" (Settings/My TV)
"Auto turn on TV" (Settings/My TV)
"Recording options" (Settings/My TV)
"Channel sorting" (Settings/My TV)

And finally - in version 0.2.0 there is a new feature showing the cathegory of television shows (sports, film and more). These are only shown in english and do not show up as missing in the language strings. I don't know if these are part of the software or part of the downloaded guide-data.

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    I found another one in mytvhome
    Channel

I have modified the skin files for mytvhome and now Channel and Teletext should be translated now in cvs. It should be easy to modify the other pages.

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have modified the skin files for mytvhome and now Channel and Teletext should be translated now in cvs. It should be easy to modify the other pages.

Are you saying that the problem is in the skin-file? Does this mean that all skins have to be modified? How come all skins have the same problems, for example Teletext not being translatable?
    I don't really get it... :(

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    Yes, that was the case with mytvhome.xml. All skins had the Teletext label hardcoded. Don't ask me why but it was like that. They also had the word Channel hardcoded in all the skins but in one. I haven't checked the settings part. In that case is more probable that those labels are in code.

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok! It's great that you are taking time to look into this. I don't have the knowledge to look into the skin-files.
    So if I understand you right it is easy to change the skin-files.
    Now - how do we make this happen in the best way? I suppose that we have to get the original skins that come with the MP-download changed first. But is this not something that the skin authors should do so the problem does not come back when the skins are updated? Maybe we could start a thread in the skin developing part of the forum?
    Do you think you could write something since you seem to have better knowledge about the technicalities than I do?

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    The changes I did to my tv home are already in CVS. So next time you download the application, this page should be ok. You won't need to change anything by yourself. I hope all other labels will be changed in the same way.

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    I have just found how to solve another of your issues: the dot after the date in home page. The date format can be specified in home plugin setup. So, go to setup application, plugin and select home, click on setup and you will be able to select with dat format you want. The default format uses the . (I don't understand why because I don't think it is a much used format anyway) In that screen you can choose between two different formats or specify your own.

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    I am starting to do some development but cannot upload my changes to CVS yet. I just put them in sourceforge and somebody will check them and add them to cvs.
    I have just added a new option to Home setup. Now you can select "Use wondows localized format" and it will format the date using your windows configured format. I think this is the best way to handle date formats. I don't know when this change will be available.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mosquiss said:
    ... The default format uses the . (I don't understand why because I don't think it is a much used format anyway) In that screen you can choose between two different formats or specify your own.

In Germany it's very usual to write a date with dots, it would be quit unusual not to use them (i.e.):
    - 20. Januar 2006
    - Freitag, 20. Januar 2006

How do you write a date?

I'm just wondering why the change of date format in home plugin doesn't take effect in tvhomescreen?
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11111
    Maybe this could be changed, too?

Regards
    Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom